help with a toggled IR proximity sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

urkidn

im a noob at eletronics but trying to make a "toggled" ir proximity sensor so i can turn on and off my lights in my room by waving my hand in front of my switch like 100-150mm i know how to make the ir senser,
i know how to make the relay switch my lights just im stuck on how to make a toggled switch by a pulse of voltage from the ir senser so it stays on all the time till i wave again to turn it off

please help me thank you

hi,
You need a latch, thats you can 'toggle'. How much space do you have in the switch housing.?
A CD4013 dual F/F will run from 3V thru 12V ok.

QUOTE=urkidn;983977]i got heaps like 90mm in a wall cav[/QUOTE]

hi,
If you post your IR sensor circuit, also showing it's power supply, we will show you how to add a latch.

ir pic

QUOTE=urkidn;983977]i got heaps like 90mm in a wall cav

hi,
If you post your IR sensor circuit, also showing it's power supply, we will show you how to add a latch.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IR_proximity_sensor.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4,548
Ok , copied that.
Do you have a circuit for actually switching the light On/Off after the 'new' latch.? or is the circuit you posted all you have.??
I thought you had a working system that just required a latching/toggle part.?

i was trying to find a way for that circuit to toggle something to drive my relay then the relay switches 240 volts
Ok , copied that.
Do you have a circuit for actually switching the light On/Off after the 'new' latch.? or is the circuit you posted all you have.??
I thought you had a working system that just required a latching/toggle part.?

Last edited:
hi,
OK, I will draw up a circuit.
After the photo detector you will require simple amplifier to sharpen up the signal to make suitable for clocking a F/F,, the F/F will drive a transistor which will in turn drive a 5Vdc coil relay
NOTE: the 5V relay must be suitable for switching the local 230Vac at the rated current current of the lamp.

thank you so much for ur help, i was going to use the 5v relay to op. a 24v relay that can do 240v,10amps, thank you

thank you so much for ur help, i was going to use the 5v relay to op. a 24v relay that can do 240v,10amps, thank you
hi,
I will post a circuit within the next 24 hrs.
Other members may also have a suitable circuit to post.

would it work better if there was a op amp involved for a peak voltage from the ir sensor like 4v+ then ops the op amp then sends the pulse to the latch, i watched a few youtube vid on them and seem to act like a variable resister the closer u are the less resistance, u dont want it to toggle on the sliest pulse coz it will be controlling my room lights

I would like you to the following test, using your IR emitter and detector.
Connect the components exactly the way shown in your posted image,
Power up the circuit, then using a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the detector.
Place your hand in front of the emitter/detector at distances of 100mm and 150mm and also without your hand in front.
So get the 3 readings

Post the 3 voltage readings and from that I can complete the circuit diagram.

Last edited:
i need to go shoping for it to do them test but this is where i found it **broken link removed** down the bottom its got its detetion voltage at 5v if this is any help

omg i just relised this wont work, the voltage dims at the output when the ir's reflected...i didnt see that i thought it did increased voltage at the output

hi,
OK, I did a circuit assuming the detector levels, will redo with 5V 'no hand'.... 4.5V 'hand' and post it.

hi,
Look at this circuit.
I have not put any IC pin numbers on, are you OK to do that yourself.?

Build the circuit on a bread board, WITHOUT the mains connections.
Note: the LM393 are CD4013 are both dual IC's, so any unused INPUTS should be connected to 0V.

On the 5V and 12V power lines, add a 100nF and 22uF thru 220uF decoupling capacitors.

Ask if you need explanation.

EDIT:
The plots show four passes of the hand over the detector.

Attachments

• IR_prox5.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…