Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with a toggled IR proximity sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

urkidn

im a noob at eletronics but trying to make a "toggled" ir proximity sensor so i can turn on and off my lights in my room by waving my hand in front of my switch like 100-150mm i know how to make the ir senser,
i know how to make the relay switch my lights just im stuck on how to make a toggled switch by a pulse of voltage from the ir senser so it stays on all the time till i wave again to turn it off

please help me thank you :)

im a noob at eletronics but trying to make a "toggled" ir proximity sensor so i can turn on and off my lights in my room by waving my hand in front of my switch like 100-150mm i know how to make the ir senser,
i know how to make the relay switch my lights just im stuck on how to make a toggled switch by a pulse of voltage from the ir senser so it stays on all the time till i wave again to turn it off

please help me thank you :)

hi,
You need a latch, thats you can 'toggle'. How much space do you have in the switch housing.?
A CD4013 dual F/F will run from 3V thru 12V ok.

QUOTE=urkidn;983977]i got heaps like 90mm in a wall cav[/QUOTE]

hi,
If you post your IR sensor circuit, also showing it's power supply, we will show you how to add a latch.

ir pic

QUOTE=urkidn;983977]i got heaps like 90mm in a wall cav

hi,
If you post your IR sensor circuit, also showing it's power supply, we will show you how to add a latch.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IR_proximity_sensor.jpg
    IR_proximity_sensor.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4,548
Ok , copied that.
Do you have a circuit for actually switching the light On/Off after the 'new' latch.? or is the circuit you posted all you have.??
I thought you had a working system that just required a latching/toggle part.?

i was trying to find a way for that circuit to toggle something to drive my relay then the relay switches 240 volts
Ok , copied that.
Do you have a circuit for actually switching the light On/Off after the 'new' latch.? or is the circuit you posted all you have.??
I thought you had a working system that just required a latching/toggle part.?

Last edited:
hi,
OK, I will draw up a circuit.
After the photo detector you will require simple amplifier to sharpen up the signal to make suitable for clocking a F/F,, the F/F will drive a transistor which will in turn drive a 5Vdc coil relay
NOTE: the 5V relay must be suitable for switching the local 230Vac at the rated current current of the lamp.

thank you so much for ur help, i was going to use the 5v relay to op. a 24v relay that can do 240v,10amps, thank you :)
hi,
OK, I will draw up a circuit.
After the photo detector you will require simple amplifier to sharpen up the signal to make suitable for clocking a F/F,, the F/F will drive a transistor which will in turn drive a 5Vdc coil relay
NOTE: the 5V relay must be suitable for switching the local 230Vac at the rated current current of the lamp.

thank you so much for ur help, i was going to use the 5v relay to op. a 24v relay that can do 240v,10amps, thank you :)
hi,
I will post a circuit within the next 24 hrs.
Other members may also have a suitable circuit to post.

would it work better if there was a op amp involved for a peak voltage from the ir sensor like 4v+ then ops the op amp then sends the pulse to the latch, i watched a few youtube vid on them and seem to act like a variable resister the closer u are the less resistance, u dont want it to toggle on the sliest pulse coz it will be controlling my room lights :p

I would like you to the following test, using your IR emitter and detector.
Connect the components exactly the way shown in your posted image,
Power up the circuit, then using a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the detector.
Place your hand in front of the emitter/detector at distances of 100mm and 150mm and also without your hand in front.
So get the 3 readings

Post the 3 voltage readings and from that I can complete the circuit diagram.

Last edited:
i need to go shoping for it to do them test but this is where i found it **broken link removed** down the bottom its got its detetion voltage at 5v if this is any help
Power up the circuit, then using a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the detector.
Place your hand in front of the emitter/detector at distances of 100mm and 150mm and also without your hand in front.
So get the 3 readings

omg i just relised this wont work, the voltage dims at the output when the ir's reflected...i didnt see that i thought it did increased voltage at the output :(
So get the 3 readings

IF you want me to post a circuit, post the voltages I requested.

hi,
OK, I did a circuit assuming the detector levels, will redo with 5V 'no hand'.... 4.5V 'hand' and post it.

hi,
Look at this circuit.
I have not put any IC pin numbers on, are you OK to do that yourself.?

Build the circuit on a bread board, WITHOUT the mains connections.
Note: the LM393 are CD4013 are both dual IC's, so any unused INPUTS should be connected to 0V.

On the 5V and 12V power lines, add a 100nF and 22uF thru 220uF decoupling capacitors.

Ask if you need explanation.:)

EDIT:
The plots show four passes of the hand over the detector.

Attachments

• IR_prox5.gif
    IR_prox5.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back