Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help understanding peltiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peepsalot

I have a small project I am working on which involves using a peltier device. I purchased one with the following specs:
16.1V 8.0A 80W

The first thing I noticed is that 16.1V * 8A = 128.8W, which is obviously greater than 80W.
So what are these numbers supposed to mean? Is it that I can feed it a maximum voltage, or current but not both? Does the peltier device have characteristics similar to a diode, or to a resistor, or something else? Can I simply hook it up to some voltage supply, or do I also need to limit current? What sort of input power would be best for maximum efficiency?
Lastly, can anyone recommend where to get a power supply that would work well for this purpose?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back