Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Needed! Rectifier Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajal Khokhar

Hi, I am currently working on a passive rectifier circuit for an implantable device. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the equivalent impedence/resistance before the diodes in the circuit i.e. nodes x, y in the attached image. Is there an expression that can be stated for all rectifiers passive or active? How can this be calculated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 300
Because a diode's voltage drop is relatively independent of the current through it, its effective impedance is a negative function of the current through it, and it is dependent on the circuit voltage. Because the signal is a sine wave, the instantaneous impedance of the diodes is changing constantly. Also, when the signal voltage drops below 1.5 V, the diodes stop conducting, basically jumping to an infinite impedance. So the circuit impedance is not a simple equation.

What is it you are trying to achieve with this information?
ak

Last edited:
The circuit above is an extension to an existing circuit. The estimated incoming voltage is 4.1V and frequency is 50kHz, so by trying to get the equivalent impedence/resistance I was hoping to check how the circuit effected the losses and also if it was in phase with the previous circuit

You're probably best to do a numerical simulation with a tool such as SPICE. It will model the behavior of the diodes very accurately and allow you to plot a graph of the instantaneous impedance (from which you'll be able to work out the mean).

I would use Schottky diodes.
They work better at high frequencies and have a lower forward voltage drop than standard junction diodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back