Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed for PCB designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoyC

Hi,

I'm designing a PCB using Diptrace software on a single layer design, but after routing, I found that there's alot of paths which are not connected. It requires additional jumpers to connect those paths.

I've tried to place the components on different places, but it still end up the same. And this is my circuit: Top Layer Single.jpg

Any advice to solve this?

Most of the mess between the ICs can be solved by running traces between IC pins. I know this is a little scary on a homemade PCB but it looks like it is necessary.

The other traces can be manually routed, and/or manually routed AND a wire jumper used to jump over tracks.

This is a fairly difficult board if this is your first time designing a PCB! :) Is the receiver simpler? Maybe you could do that first for practice?

Unfortunately the receiver is very much complicated as the transmitter.

Any way to do manual route efficiently??

Many thanks.

Equally unfortunate: there's no substitute for experience. I can't explain how to visualize routing, after 30+ years of sporatic needs, I'm only competent. I still ripup large areas when I see a cleaner pattern to pursue.

I try to work from inner IC pins to the ends. From yours' I see either double sided OR a boat load of jumpers. It's just too busy with individual runs.

Threading between pins works fine when processed by a professional board house. I only try it now, on in-house boards, when one or both pins I'm splitting have no connection (delete its' pad for clearance). Direct photo image transfer and a good etch tank make this better, but I always had a hard time. <<<)))

Unfortunately the receiver is very much complicated as the transmitter.

Any way to do manual route efficiently??

Many thanks.

You are doing well! It's just going to take more work. :)

If you move the 2 ICs further apart and make more space around them, you have more room to route traces and add wire jumpers. Don't be too afraid of the wire jumpers you are going to need them!

Of course if this is to be made by a pro factory then just make it double sided with vias, and run traces between IC legs.

But if you will be etching at home then it depends on your equipment and experience, (which I'm guessing is near the beginner end of the scale?) so you should probably avoid running traces between IC legs and instead spread things out more and use as many wire jumpers as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back