Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed for ADC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

konzen

hi guys,

i intend to use the ADC0804 IC as the ADC for my uni project. the datasheet says it can operate in a standalone mode. i've cr8ed a standalone circuit with LEDs to show the output. however, my circuit seems moody. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. i followed the diagram given but i left the digital ground out. furthermore, connecting digital ground to the supply ground does not solve my problem. any ideas?

ps: i'm trying to get it to work before interfacing it with the microprocessor

Attachments

• ADC.JPG
    ADC.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 181
hi,
Show us how you are controlling/connecting the CS,WR,RD lines in the stand alone mode, how are you generating these control signals.

Do you have the digital ground connected back to the control signal source, ie: are your CS,WR,RD lines referenced to digital ground in the circuit?

Last edited:
i've left them out as i thought it wasn't required if i just wanted to run it standalone. i guess i'm wrong? sorry i'm quite new to this. we get no help from the lecturers at all for this project.

konzen said:
i've left them out as i thought it wasn't required if i just wanted to run it standalone. i guess i'm wrong? sorry i'm quite new to this. we get no help from the lecturers at all for this project.

hi,
The control pins have to be connected to the correct logic levels.

Do you have the datasheet?... this should tell you how to connect for stand alone operation.

EDIT: Look at this clip from datasheet.

Last edited:
konzen said:
yeah i do but it doesn't state anywhere in the datasheet about operating it in standalone mode.

hi,
The clip from the datasheet is the stand alone, free running mode!

konzen said:
what do you mean by clip?

hi,
A 'clip' is a part of the datasheet that I have copied.
Its a small extract from a larger document.

Look at this 'clip' from the datasheet, I have modified it, you should now be able to follow this/;)

IMPORTANT: the start switch is a momentary switch, close and release!

Last edited:
oh okay. i'll rewire my circuit. one more question, since there's no microprocessor involved, does that mean i tie the D ground to the A ground?

konzen said:
oh okay. i'll rewire my circuit. one more question, since there's no microprocessor involved, does that mean i tie the D ground to the A ground?

hi,
Connect the 'D' ground back to your power supply 0 Volt/Common
and connect another wire from the 'A' ground back to the power supply 0B/common .

I'll edit the clip and repost it.

EDIT: Re-look at clip, for grounds

Last edited:
okay thanks alot. your help in these couples of hours was more valuable than the 3 past days i spent researching on this. this week was supposedly my mid semester break. engineering students have it tough

konzen said:
okay thanks alot. your help in these couples of hours was more valuable than the 3 past days i spent researching on this. this week was supposedly my mid semester break. engineering students have it tough

hi,
Lets know how it goes.

nope doesn't work. the CSbar and RDbar pins should be driven low right? also i think the INTRbar pin is driven low to stop conversion. therefore INTRbar and WRbar pins cant be tied together

konzen said:
nope doesn't work. the CSbar and RDbar pins should be driven low right? also i think the INTRbar pin is driven low to stop conversion. therefore INTRbar and WRbar pins cant be tied together

hi,

The INTR is an output that happens when the ADC conversion is complete and its used to re-trigger a WR [WRITE] command according to the datasheet.

The CS is chip select it must be low, RD is READ and it also must be low.

Have you fitted the resistor and capacitor to the IC?? [10K and 150pF]

Have you connected the momentary start switch?
and switched it 'once' after you have powered up?

Do you have an analog input voltage?

Do you have a Vref voltage as per the ADC note [look at the clip]

Last edited:
i see. yeah i connected to resistor and cap already. when i switch it do i on and off? or just turn it on?

konzen said:
i see. yeah i connected to resistor and cap already. when i switch it do i on and off? or just turn it on?

The START switch is closed just 'one time' after you have got the power switched on to the ADC, then switch it OFF. [open]

Dont leave the START switch ON, its just needed to start the ADC ic running.

do i have to pulse the start switch? or simply turn it on? i have a vref and the analog input voltage is provided by a voltage divider made up of a potentiometer and a fixed biasing resistor

konzen said:
do i have to pulse the start switch? or simply turn it on? i have a vref and the analog input voltage is provided by a voltage divider made up of a potentiometer and a fixed biasing resistor

hi,

Just pulse it once, after you have connected power to the ADC.
That will start it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back