Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me choose a linear actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapitonov

Hi! I want to put myself a linear actuator on the sliding gate to the cottage. I looked in the internet, there are a lot of offers and the prices are very different. Maybe there are people here who understand this and can advise me what type of actuator is better, manufacturer and where to buy? I will be very grateful.

Since it is a sliding gate you're intending to automate, you'll need (obviously) an actuator that has the "reach" (or "throw") that will fully open/close the gate.

That said, Amazon has a product that seems to meet your specs and at a very reasonable price....

Most sliding gates use a rack and pinion type operator as the required movement is usually large.

Mike.

Below are five factors that will help you to choose a linear actuator
1. Stroke Length
2. Speed
3. Accuracy
4. Mounting
5. Maintenance

Chain & sprocket is popular because its cheap & easy, rack is fairly expensive.
You need to put a anchor point at one end with a bolt or similar to tension the chain, it needs to be tight.

Agree the garage door version/principal is probably the way to go, the down side with rack and pinion is the pinion is carried by the door and would typically have to be motorized, i.e. motor on the door.
A Garage door opener could probably be adapted.
Max.

Garage door openers:
1--Have a long screw that a nut travels on.
2--Has a chain that pulls.
3--Has a rubber belt with teeth that pulls on the door.
Here is a chain that pushes/pulls.

Here is the rubber belt.

I think that there are 10,000 garage door openers for every gate opener. That might explain the price difference.

Garage door openers:
1--Have a long screw that a nut travels on.
2--Has a chain that pulls.
3--Has a rubber belt with teeth that pulls on the door.
Here is a chain that pushes/pulls.
View attachment 118936
Here is the rubber belt.
View attachment 118937
I think that there are 10,000 garage door openers for every gate opener. That might explain the price difference.

Thank you for your advice.
But I need something like an all-in-one with a remote controller. Any ideas?

Agree a Garage remote is all in one, for two separate units, I picked up a 4ch remote keyfob and reciever off ebay for >$10.00.
Max

Garage door motor units are intended for installation inside a building, away from the elements.

Gate operator units are generally built to handle being directly exposed to rain, sun, snow etc.
That's what you need to consider, depending how and where the unit would be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back