Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Inverting signal for FETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbobill

Hello Everyone,

I have two physical switches I need to replace with FETs. As it turns out, I'll need four FETs to replace them, here's why.

1,2,3 & 4 are switch positions that I will replace with IRF510 FET transistors. They are controlled by 555 square wave generator. 2&3 will be open when 1&4 are closed when the signal is high from the output of the 555, then when the signal is low they should be the opposite, i.e., 2&3 will be closed when 1&4 are open.

So I am driving the gates with the output of the 555 but but the signal has to be inverted for two of the FETs. I have some 2N2222A transistors that I think will work but I can't figure out how to hook them up. I think there is something about a bias, but that's where I'm lost.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
TurboBill

Please post a schematic.

If the switches are on the low side they need to be N channel and if theiy're on the high side they need to be P-channel.

Hello Everyone,

I have two physical switches I need to replace with FETs. As it turns out, I'll need four FETs to replace them, here's why.

1,2,3 & 4 are switch positions that I will replace with IRF510 FET transistors. They are controlled by 555 square wave generator. 2&3 will be open when 1&4 are closed when the signal is high from the output of the 555, then when the signal is low they should be the opposite, i.e., 2&3 will be closed when 1&4 are open.

So I am driving the gates with the output of the 555 but but the signal has to be inverted for two of the FETs. I have some 2N2222A transistors that I think will work but I can't figure out how to hook them up. I think there is something about a bias, but that's where I'm lost.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
TurboBill

If your just using these FETs as switchers:

You could try just a 2n3904. The 2n2222 is a little over-kill and the DC current gain is not as high.

The pin out for the 2n3904 is:
pin 1 = emitter, connect to ground
pin 2 = base, connect to pin 3 output of 555 timer through a series 1KΩ resistor.
pin 3 = collector, connect to gate of FET with a 470Ω pull-up resistor.

If your just using these FETs as switchers:

You could try just a 2n3904. The 2n2222 is a little over-kill and the DC current gain is not as high.

The pin out for the 2n3904 is:
pin 1 = emitter, connect to ground
pin 2 = base, connect to pin 3 output of 555 timer through a series 1KΩ resistor.
pin 3 = collector, connect to gate of FET with a 470Ω pull-up resistor.

I don't have any 2n3904's right now, so do you think these values will work with the 2n2222 or would I need to bump up the values a bit? If so, how much?

Is there a simple formula to compute those values?

Thanks

I don't have any 2n3904's right now, so do you think these values will work with the 2n2222 or would I need to bump up the values a bit? If so, how much?

Is there a simple formula to compute those values?

Thanks

What voltage is Vcc?

Yes. The following values are based on a 5V supply for Vcc.
The 2n2222 pin-out is:
pin 1 = base, wired to output of 555 timer with 10KΩ series resistor in-line from output to base.
pin 2 = emitter, connect to ground
pin 3 = collector, connect to gate of FET with a 220Ω pull-up on the gate of the FET.
These values are approximations. You can use something close in value and it will be fine.

Last edited:
What voltage is Vcc?

The 2n2222 pin-out is:
pin 1 = base, wired to output of 555 timer with 10KΩ series resistor in-line from output to base.
pin 3 = collector, connect to gate of FET with a 220Ω pull-up on the gate of the FET.
These values are approximations. You can use something close in value and it will be fine.

Voltage for Vcc is 12V, how would I compute new values?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Last edited:
What voltage is Vcc?

The 2n2222 pin-out is:

At a Vcc of 12V
Use a 1KΩ resistor on the base of the 2n2222 (This will ensure saturation). You can stay with the 470Ω on the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back