Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying these (mostly small caps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMUGangsta

Hi, can you help identify these compnents - i was sorting out some bits last night and this is what i came up with. Im very impressed with the camera - as I noticed some number on the components that i couldnt see with my eyes :eek:

Attachment A - from left to right

says 224M - is that = 220nF

says R030 - no idea on this either

says 68, has an underline and the tip has been dipped in black - no idea if its µ, n or p. = 68pF ??

says 33J, underline and black tip also = 33pF ??

says 474M - is that = 470nF

Attachment B - from left to right

0.01uF ?? what type of cap is this

33pF

says n12, so is that 0.12nF = 120pF

says n47, so is that 0.47nF = 470pF

says 1n0, is that 1nF

after looking at the pics i realisised the camera was picking up much more than i could see - this ones says n22 in tiny grey writing on the back - as above n22 = 220pF

this has what looks like 68µ is that possible for such a small cap?

Attachment C from left to right

6p8 is this 6.8Pf ??

says 9 6B - I have no clue what this, its about 4mm across by 2.5mm tall, and about 0.75mm thick - and has 4 legs. very small bridge rectifier??

says 381C 49A on the back, has three legs, one of which has been cut off (on all of them, about 250 in total - so i assume its not needed - im assuming some kind of photo transistor - from what ive found some of these photo transistors have a bias, that allows you to bias the base and use as a normal transistor, possibly the pin thats been chopped?

What is the designation of these switches - i know the bigger ones with the 2 opposed holes are V3 microswitches, and ive seen others like this - do they have a proper name?

how do you classify these tactile switches?? is it just the outline and button height - eg 'Tactile Switch 6x6x2mm' and 'Tactile Switch 6x6x6mm' etc

Attachment D

I think these are inductors - appears to be a winding capped with that black metal you get in transformers (ferrite??)

one says 683, is this like the capacitors codes - eg 68000 and what is it measured in, eg is this 68uH ??

the other says 153, is this 15uH?

Sorry for the really long post - but any help would be greatly appreciated, as I keep buying bits, that I may already have - just because i never knew i had them.

Thanks

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 571
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 654
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 360
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 356
First off, if a letter follows the value, it represents the tolerance. Here's the table:

B = ±0.1pF
C = ± 0.25pF
D = ±0.5pF
E = ±0.25%
F = ±1.0pF
G = ±2%
H = ±2.5%
J = ±5%
K = ±10%
L = ±15%
M = ±20%
N = ±30%
P = -0, +100%
S = -20, +50%
W = -0, +200%
X = -20, +40%
Z = -20, +80%

And here's a link to a tutorial on reading cap values: Twisted Pair Forum / Capacitor Nomenclature

As to your caps, here's my input based upon what I can see.

ATTACHMENT A:

1: 224M is 22+4 zeros in picofarads or 220000pF = 220nF = 0.22µF. The "M" indicates a tolerance of ±20%.
2: "R030" -- no clue what you have there

3: 68 with no other marking is 68pF; the black tip on a ceramic cap indicates an "NP0" type with a near-zero temperature coefficient

4: 33 with no other marking is 33pF; the "J" indicates a tolerance of ±5% and the black tip on the edge signifies an "NP0" capacitor.

5: 474M is therefore a 470nF, ±20% cap

6: "R030" -- ???

ATTACHMENT B:

1: 0.01µF, as written; this one also has the voltage rating: 100V

2: 33pF

3: n12 should be 0.12nF or 120pF

4: n47 should be 0.47nF or 470pF

5: 1n0 should be 1nF

6: n22 would be 0.22nF or 220pF

7: "68µ" To tell you the truth, I can't see the critters all that well in the photos, but that's a ceramic cap and it ISN'T 68µF. I'd start guessing at 68pF and work from there. I'm not big on digital cap meters for determining values*, but they are a help in zeroing-in on the marked value.

ATTACHMENT C:

1: 6p8 is 6.8pF

2: Could be a bridge rectifier or an Hall-effect switch

3: Looks like an IR device, phototransistor being a good guess

4: These are generically called "snap action switches", often called a "microswitch". "Microswitch" is a tradename owned by Honeywell Corp. and is a proper noun that is misused in the electronics trade as often as "Scotch tape" and "Kleenex" is in the "outer world".

5 & 6: These are pushbutton, momentary contact switches and as you mention, deliver a tactile response, which is really nice. I love these switches. Panasonic (Digi-Key carries them) has a good line of them. Those flat "leads" run completely through the device (good for integrated jumpers) and are shorted together when the switch is actuated, so you have the same normally-open contacts available on both sides of the switch.

ATTACHMENT D: I forgot to make notes on those, but the little black thingies do appear to be inductors.

*Cap meters are great for determining exact values if you need to match caps or for getting you in the ballpark for reading a printed value on a cap. But too many folks will get a cap marked 474M, use a meter to read the value as 481nF and try to store the cap under the meter's reading rather than throwing it into the 470nF bin. That cap reads 481nF NOW, but when the temperature shifts 10°, it may read 492nF. So, throw it in the 470nF bin and be done with it!

Dean

Last edited:
Thanks dean, thats great - I'll label up the the ones that youve helped with and get them off the dining table - the wife will be pleased!

That 68uF one - it is a 68pF - i went through about 30 of them with the magnifiying glass, and managed to find 2 that had the full letter 'P' - im guessing the stamping machine was running out of ink that day!

Last edited:
R030 is a 300mA PTC resistor (a type of automatically resettable fuse)

The attachment on the right is an inductor.

Last edited:
in attachment A on cap #5 , what is the significance of the # and symbol under the 474m

I have a small blue cap with 474m and underneath a 5 then symbol then 3, trying to identify if this has to do with voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back