Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying opposing connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because car manufacturers don't make components. Have a look on the tyres of your Volvo. They won't say "Volvo". I saw a switch on an Audi with the VW, Seat, Audi and Vauxhall logos. I mentioned the Aisin gearbox on my Jaguar. I had a Rover 75 with a BMW engine. My wife's Mini has an engine from a Toyota Yaris and my daughter had a Nissan with a Renault engine. Those were all from the factory like that.

The brake light bulbs, the battery and the tyre valves on my 2009 Jag are interchangeable with those on my 1953 MG. Car manufacturers don't change stuff unless they have a good reason to change. If there is engineering work done, it's to save money, add or improve features, improve styling, or keep up with changes in law. In many cases you can see the effect of a gradual change in the design of cars. For instance, a Diesel injector pump for common-rail injectors, where the timing is electronic, but the pump ran at exactly the same speed as the camshaft, not because it had to, but because the previous injector pump had to run at that speed, and there was no saving in changing the pulley sizes or the run of the timing belt.

A quick search found this:- https://www.varaosahaku.fi/fi-en/Se...r/Battery-cable/All/ID-31298768/OEM-31327698/ which says it's made by Hella. Hella sell to all the big car manufacturers.

There is just no reason to chop and change connectors. If Volvo did that, they would pay Hella loads of money to re-tool the connector housing. The BMS won't work on another car because the software won't be compatible so they won't loose out on sales of parts if the connectors fit other cars.

I guessed that a modern Ford is probably going to have a BMS if a modern Volvo has one, and there are more Fords than Volvos so more to search for. Ford and Volvo were even part of the same group at one time. I just did an image search for Ford BMS connector or something like that.

well, the motorcraft part looks like the right one, but the one on the deytrade site, if you zoom in on the pic and rotate it to the right angle, it looks like it is missing the slots where the outer tabs are supposed to slide through. but that te connector is in a lot of places. did you see something that linked these two parts?

also, notice that the keying seems to be rotated 180 degrees on the deytrade te part. it seems to be what's used in audis and such, but i don't know if it is supposed to be compatible? it would be nice if they were, since it seems much more widely available than the motorcraft part.

...they would pay Hella loads of money...
nice.

Last edited:
It's difficult to see from the pictures. One of the outer tabs will have a catch not a slot in the connectors as there has to be a connector lock of some sort.

The Deytrade site has the part number from Tyco. Tyco's website give this https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1670916-1.html?source=header-match which has a link to the drawing:- https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen...pdfEnglishENG_CD_1670916_E5.pdf1-1670916-1

On the Tyco site, you can look at the drawings for the connectors that mate with that, and see if they look like the connector part of the BMS that you have.

you know, i'm not seeing where it says on that page that it is made by Hella.

i just added a couple pictures showing that the amount of space between the connector and the battery cable lead is about 35% of the girth of the connector. from the drawings, it doesn't look like there is enough clearance for the catch engagement wart or whatever you call it, on the side of the TE 1-1670916-1. If TE does make the motorcraft part, they make a special version where the keying is rotated 180 with respect to the catch.

1605405194045.png

Last edited:
I meant that the BMS was made by Hella. Your 8th and 9th photos, under the word "Volvo" and beside the QR code, show "Hella".

I think it will fit. This drawing shows the opening to be 8.6 mm wide not counting the lugs and 12.6 long. The connector is 15 mm long and 14.8 mm wide. So the connector is 2.4 mm longer than the opening, the skirt of the connector is probably 1.2 mm wider than the opening all round. There are slots in the skirt for the lugs, so they don't add to the width.

The 14.8 mm wide connector is therefore probably 1.2 mm out from the opening on one side, so it's 14.8 - 8.6 - 1.2 = 5 mm out on the other side. Your 4th photo shows that it's around 5 mm clearance.

Also, the part that sticks out is just a protection for the locking clip. You could easily trim that back without affecting the function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back