Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdrp

I am trying to identify what the item in the photo below is and whether it can be replaced.

**broken link removed**

Closer photo:
**broken link removed**

The board is used to charge a battery in a portable computer. I fried one of the items and it no longer charges. The board is manufactured by Advanced Digital Logic.

Thanks

Last edited:
hi,
It looks like a 10uF 25V Tantalum capacitor.

or 10V 25uF, sometimes the 'u' symbol as 'voltage'

EDIT:
Look here.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
hi,
or 10V 25uF, sometimes the 'u' symbol as 'voltage'

I think this is correct. The computer takes 12v and the battery to be charged is 8.4v. The battery is only needed for hot swapping power sources.

Thank you for your help.

One of the capacitors has exploded, perhaps it's only designed for 5V?

If it is designed for 12V operation then a voltage regulator reduces the voltage, probably down to 5V.

The explosion was my doing.

I got a replacement 8.4V battery pack and foolishly reversed the polarity. The only issue with the computer now is that it is not charging the battery. I assume that somehow the burnt part is responsible for it not charging.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back