Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifing component

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortis

elctrc-2.jpgelctrc-1.jpg
The component in the pictures was taken out of a microwave which seems to be working fine except that it does not heat...
One leg of this component was connected to the capacitor and the other leg to the outer bottom metal cover (the striped side was connected to the metal cover).

From what I read, these microwave circuits usually have a diode connected between the capacitor and the magnetron and this diode breaks down often. on the other hand, I'm not sure this's a diode because it was connected to the outer cover (plus I think diodes have one stripe around the edge of them).

What do you think?

Thanks for the answer Nigel.

How can I test this diode with a conventional multimeter to see if it's faulty?

Thanks for the answer Nigel.

How can I test this diode with a conventional multimeter to see if it's faulty?

Normal failure mode is them going S/C, so just test it on ohms or the diode test range. However, the voltage from a meter (particularly a digital one) is most likely too low to make it conduct, but it will show if it's S/C.

However, you should be VERY, VERY aware of the high voltage and it's dangers - it's the only pretty well guaranteed fatal electric shock you will find in a home - nothing else comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back