Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help finding this experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThE_sPaCeCoWbOy

I remember a while back i was doing a search on electrolysis and I came across a project that was a hydrogen burning candle. It used a pop bottle, battery and electrodes, they put a small hole in the cap and after enought hydrogen was produced, they light near the top and a flame was produced. I'm trying to find that experiment again, but afer hours of search, i gave up and was wondering if anyone might of came across that experiment or not.

Thanks,
Bob

What you have just described sounds highly dangerous! See this link:
https://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/hydrogen1.html
I think that you are wanting to separate the hydrogen and oxygen and just burn the hydrogen.
Burning a mix of hydrogen and oxygen is a ticket to the A&E at the local hospital!

JimB

this is close and I remember reading it when I found that article that I was refering to also.

The artical I'm think about used a pop bottle and they put a small hole at the top so the brown gas slowly came out.

Thanks again...

t

Brown gas???

Electrolysing water will give hydrogen and oxygen, both of which are colourless.

JimB

Brown gas is the name of the Hydrogen and Oxygen gas mixture if you don't separate the gases. It is still colorless and explosive. I believe it was named after the guy (Last name Brown) who performed this action.

Thanks,
t

Have you done a Google search for "Brown's gas"? I don't know if the experiment you're looking for shows up, but you will find a ton of information and controversy.

Interestingly enough, there was a hydrogen/oxygen demonstration on TV last night! - apparently the mixture was used to create "lime light" in Victorian theatres.

As a demonstration they lit a ballon of hydrogen (with a flame on the end of a LONG stick!), and it created a nice fire ball. They then repeated the experiment with the mixture of hydrogen and oxygen - this produced quite a nice explosion :lol:

In victorian days it was commonplace to see theatre workers walking down the street carrying large 'bags' of hydrogen or oxygen - no compressed cylinders in those days!.

I came across a project that was a hydrogen burning candle.

I am not familiar with that exact experment, but producing hydrogen/oxygen gas using electrolysis is very simple.

I would Not Recommend using a pop bottle as it would be difficult to get the electrodes in it. Additionally you do not want to just put a small hole and light the gas. I would most likely Flash back through that hole and Explode the bottle.

Instead, use a glass jar. In some way attach a small plastic hose to the lid and run it into a "bubbler". Than light the gas coming out of the bubbler.

I'll do you up a drawing of this and post it here shortly.

Take care......Gary

Here it is:

Attachments

• h-gen.png
    h-gen.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 502
What do you really want to accomplish here?

Even the diagram showing "REALLY tiny tube" is hazardous. If it were only hydrogen, the flame would only occur where the gas exited and mixed with air. But since it's already mixed with an ideal amount of pure oxygen, the mixture is extremely combustible and the flame cannot easily be prevented from travelling into the tube and blowing it apart. And since there's a flame at the end you'd probably have gotten glass or metal tubing since it won't burn but it could explode.

It's kinda fun to fill a plastic bag, take it off, stand back and touch a match to it.

Oznog, That is Why that Container is Filled, Very Close to the top with water.
There is no room for much of an explosion.

Ideally the tube opening is just a Small Jet, only a few thousands of an inch. That will also prevent a backfire and explosion.

And it does work safely if built correctly.

Ron H said:
Gary, what are the electrodes made of?

Usually a Good Quality of Stainless Steel.

Unless you have a large cell with lots of plates and quite a bit of Current flow, you won't get much hydrogen or a very big flame.

There are some pictures and other info, in a Hydrogen Generator article on my website. (In the Projects)

Most guys are actually trying to run cars or Offset Fuel Costs with Hydrogen Assist, using hydrogen produced through electrolysis.

Do I believe this is Practical? Definately NOT![/b

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back