Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP - Building PICKIT2 Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am planning to build a pickit2 clone from **broken link removed**.

Only thing is i could not able to find some of following components

680uH - Do we have any equivalents or can i make coil of my own. How can i make?
BAT85
BS170
IRF9Z34
- Is the any equivalents of the above which easily available india

I already have jdm programmer which is working fine. So i can programe the 8550 easily

Thanks,
Robotsmani

Hi,

This might help..

Not sure about the choke, but 470 uh also works fine

Attachments

• pickit2_Lite.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,289
Thanks Wp100..

That's really a cool circuit. In this i have seen some FBT1(ferrite bead), what it is? And the choke 470uh or 680uh, i don't think so i will get it here. Can we make some thing with same value or can we take some coil from CFL lamp and modify it. How can i get the inductance value, what are the calculation, Any Idea?

Thanks,
Robotsmani

Hello Robotsmani,

I've read some post in this board, you can try to use inductor from old pc motherboard. It's in form of toroidal in 0,8cm diameter. I cannot find the inductor, but luckily got it in form of 1W resistor (Vishay product - Inductors - Vishay ) from my mail order shop.

For FB, I was using an inductor in toroidal form, diameter/length about 0,4cm.

You don't even need a ferrite bead The pickit2 doesn't have one my junebug doesn't have and the two clone I made do not have one and all work fine. As for the choke 470uh or 680uh works I have got them from old phone caller ID

Thanks Wp100..

That's really a cool circuit. In this i have seen some FBT1(ferrite bead), what it is? And the choke 470uh or 680uh, i don't think so i will get it here. Can we make some thing with same value or can we take some coil from CFL lamp and modify it. How can i get the inductance value, what are the calculation, Any Idea?

Thanks,
Robotsmani
very easy to make one
use a drum core with tags- by salvaging the indcutors locally sold. use 40 swg copper wisr
make around 130 turns
to 150 turns.
solder the wires to the tags present

dip it in molten bee's wax. use it
components-- BS170 is locally sold-- otherwise use 2N7000

IRFZ34-- use IRFZ44
BAT85 -- use 1N5819, OR 5822

For your own interest, try to make an LC meter from googling for LC Meter2 by Phil Rice
it works well
once made, it helps you make good coils of known accuracy

very easy to make one
use a drum core with tags- by salvaging the indcutors locally sold. use 40 swg copper wisr
make around 130 turns
to 150 turns.
solder the wires to the tags present

dip it in molten bee's wax. use it
components-- BS170 is locally sold-- otherwise use 2N7000

IRFZ34-- use IRFZ44
BAT85 -- use 1N5819, OR 5822

For your own interest, try to make an LC meter from googling for LC Meter2 by Phil Rice
it works well
once made, it helps you make good coils of known accuracy

That could come in handy here a link **broken link removed**
Thanks mvs sarma

That could come in handy here a link **broken link removed**
Thanks mvs sarma
Later, Mr Phil Rice made a new version using 16F628 and using its internal comparators, thus avoiding LN311
perhaps you might have seen that "LC Meter2" at
**broken link removed**

I made one . It works well, Thanks to Phil Rice (VK3BHR) of Australia.

You don't even need a ferrite bead The pickit2 doesn't have one my junebug doesn't have and the two clone I made do not have one and all work fine. As for the choke 470uh or 680uh works I have got them from old phone caller ID

I dont have a ferrite bead on my Junebug as well and it doesnt cause any problems.

@ Sarma, Is the PCB layout available on the site ready to print with respect to Pad sizes?

I dont have a ferrite bead on my Junebug as well and it doesnt cause any problems.

@ Sarma, Is the PCB layout available on the site ready to print with respect to Pad sizes?

Yes, provided the type of relay they used is available with you.

thanks all,

Building a LC meter itself a 100mh inductor required :-(
Let me check with the local shop for the inductors. otherwise i need to find out from salvage computer parts.

Let's hope i can get something this weekend...

Thanks,
Robotsmani

thanks all,

Building a LC meter itself a 100mh inductor required :-(
Let me check with the local shop for the inductors. otherwise i need to find out from salvage computer parts.

Let's hope i can get something this weekend...

Thanks,
Robotsmani
call it 100micro H( 100uH)
these coils are very much available across market in the shape of 1/2 watt resistors. marked brow black and brown followed by silver.

More important is the 1000pF or 1nF caps 2 off with a low tolerance like 2%. these are sold by Farnell, as box caps( polyester type).
On the overall this meter is very handy if are interested in RF filed as Hobby. similarly a frequency counter by IK3OIL.

Robotsmani If you need that choke you can get one out of almost any old cel phone
car chargers and it also has a good regulator that can step up low volts to high
or high to low I get all of them I can find just for them two parts.**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks mvs sarma and be80be...

I got the inductor(680uH) in the market in the shape of 1/2 watt resistors :) :) . only i could not able to find IRF9Z34 mosfet. Is there any available equivalents? can i use bs170? There is no IRF kind of mosfets are available in the market. Other all parts are ready except the IRF9Z34. Help me...

Robotsmani

Thanks mvs sarma and be80be...

I got the inductor(680uH) in the market in the shape of 1/2 watt resistors :) :) . only i could not able to find IRF9Z34 mosfet. Is there any available equivalents? can i use bs170? There is no IRF kind of mosfets are available in the market. Other all parts are ready except the IRF9Z34. Help me...

Robotsmani
Sorry , in an earlier post i have indicated IRFZ34 you need IRF9Z34.
BS170 is an N chl device. another BS250 is there but it has higher ON resistance and would drop more voltage.

IRF9Z34 is a PMosFET. 60V and Very low ON resistance. perhaps you may try NTD4P06 in DPAK. manage to solder it or make the pcb fresh.

Last edited:
Hi Robotsmani,

I have not been able to find a discrete equivalent to the IRF9Z34 mosfet which is only available as a smd; unless someone knows differently.

The function of the mosfet Q3 and its associate Q2 are not an essential function of the programmer - thats one of the reasons I suggested Bluerooms circuit as its much simpler but equally effective.

Assuming you have all the other parts to hand now to build the mcu hobby version just build it but leave out Q2 and Q3 and it will be fine.

IRF9Z34 mosfet is a p channel fet the bs170 is n channel see if you can get any BS250P for IRF9Z34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back