Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello!! New here.. Looking for some help with an A/C Halloween costume!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_GTL

Hello, Hello!! I'm new around here, would like to introduce myself. My names Jay, I'm a pretty big D.I.Y'er and have done wiring/soldering for a lot of previous costumes but I'm still a newb when it comes to knowing fine electrical. I'm a contractor so I do it all, house wiring plumbing, wood flooring, tile, etc. you name it I'm sure I've done it..

Now here's my concept and I'm 100% open to any ideas or improvements. I'm looking at making a gauntlet and full arm and shoulder medieval looking armor that gets frozen to the touch.

You might be thinking (well buddy you have the wrong forums we do electrical circuits here not magic) Well I'm thinking of using thermoelectric coolers.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-TEC1-12...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461234c2f7&_uhb=1

Something like that, there 40mm x 40mm and I was thinking of using... as many.. as I need..
I'm willing to buy a dozen to a few.. dozen.

Now I was thinking of setting these up in a way where they are mounted say on my back concealed with a water cooled heat sink also concealed with a rad thats again concealed.
I than run a small copper tube along them on the cold side over and over to collect the.. coldness with a mix of water and antifreeze attach a few pumps with some plastic flex hose going to the armor (connected to copper with fins etc to distribute coldness) and she should be golden. Ill have flex pipes connecting all of the armors together as well.

I will use low noise fans and pumps. (pumps make almost no noise anyway if the air is properly removed from circuit)

I also want to use a few Dewalt 18V XRP battery's to run this while out and about on halloween (but can use something else this is just what I have.. since I'm a contractor LOL!)

I'll also conceal them. I'm going to be a ice mage, so I was probably going to take a "traveler" look and maybe carry a small leather warn looking back pack I could conceal most of everything in.

I havent looked into a lot of the concealing yet but I'll worry about that AFTER I can get a frosty gauntlet. Our halloweens are usually pretty humid so the goal here it to have frost form on the out side of the gauntlet. (I'll even add water to it before going out if I have too, to create ice on the out side of the metal.)

I just dont know where to began with the electrical.. Usually I work with 9v battery's and LED's lol! Whats good is the volts for these guys are 15.2V so thats not too far off from 18volts right? :) I was thinking if this works out I might make an A/C suit or arm gauntlets for my mom since she always complains about being too hot.

p.s. between the gauntlet and armor and my skin will be a well insulated suit to protect my skin from freezing. (dont know how well this is going to work but hopefully well enough that it could freeze my skin if not protected well enough)

I figured if I use enough of them and liquid cooled them using the best fans for CFM than the hot side stays cooler and the cold side gets colder.

I can add some pics of my poorly drawn art.. but I dont know if I could do that to you guys. It might be an insult lol.

Welcome, Jay.

Gotta say that your post is one of the more unusual ones ;).

The issue I noticed first was the power required by your choice of Peltier device (60W).

Your portable power needs might easily become overwhelming.

For instance:

One unit: 60W, or at 15.2VDC, 3.95A or 3950mAHs

If your using the Dewalt DC9096 battery (2400mAH capacity), just one cooling unit (a little over 1 square inch of surface area) will completely deplete one battery in about 36 minutes (with ever diminishing cooling effects during that interval).

This does not take into account the necessary equipment to "dump" the heat being re-directed from one side of the device to the other.

Your concept is cool :)rolleyes:) but I'm having difficulty with conceiving of a way to implement it due to the rather significant power needs.

I agree with Cowboybob, your power requirments are going to be masive and unless you wire yourself up to the mains (dont do that - not with metal body armor and water!) I can't see an electrical solution.

I suggest a much simpler option would be to use freezer ice packs. If you’re really keen you could make your gauntlet double walled giving you a nice cavity to pour the ice pack solution into ... or liquid nitrogen ...

Or ... get a compressed gas canister (they use CO2 in theatres), when the gas is released and expands it cools rapidly. This would give you a nice cold gauntlet PLUS big puffs of smoke! Also with this idea you could take several canisters with you and swap them over when needed. You could also do a nice party trick putting out candles with a wave of your hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back