Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much heat could I produce if I assembled four 25 ohm, 25 watt, Cement Type Wirewound Resistors in front of two fans in a 4 cubic foot space? I was planning on housing them turned 45 degrees (for better aerodynamics) in a small metal box with two 2 inch fans recirculating the air in the enclosure over the resistors.

The specs:25 ohm, 25 watt Wirewound Resistor from Madisound
5mm Ø Ceramic Core, Perfect Winding, Solder plated copper leads, 10% Tolerance"

25 watt resistor dimensions

60 mm long
14 mm tall
15 mm wide
35 mm long leads

Thanks Everyone!

4 amps at 25 volts. 100 watts or 341 BTU's.

At an R16 rating the box should easily get well over 100 F above the ambient external temp in a few hours or less.

4 amps at 25 volts. 100 watts or 341 BTU's.

At an R16 rating the box should easily get well over 100 F above the ambient external temp in a few hours or less.

Thank you very much! Now all I have to do is tackle my first actual electronics build since 2004 during my naval training. This is just as simple as 12v (with the apropiate amperage) power source and a on off toggle and an inline fuse right?

P = I^2*R, rearranging:

I = sqrt(P/R)

= sqrt (100/(25/4))

= sqrt(16) = 4 amps

The voltage is:

V = I*R = 4*25/4 = 25Volts

A supply of 25 Volts and 4 Amps for the resisitors only. The fans will draw additional amperage.

Last edited:
I have placed a 10W lamp in a small foam beer cooler, and the insides got well over 100degF. With 100W, you will start a fire, or a least create a molten puddle of urethane...

You dont need the fans. Convection will stir the air such that the temperature will be quite uniform. Or dump the resistors, and use only the fans. They dissipate about 3W apiece, which will just about heat the box by themselves....

Last edited:
P = I^2*R, rearranging:

I = sqrt(P/R)

= sqrt (100/(25/4))

= sqrt(16) = 4 amps

The voltage is:

V = I*R = 4*25/4 = 25Volts

A supply of 25 Volts and 4 Amps for the resistors only. The fans will draw additional amperage.

I knew someone would take it over my head. lets just say I solder these up in parallel and supply them with a 4.5 amp fused 24 volt source then hook the 500ma source I already have for my fans and switch the power on it will all work?

lets just say I solder these up in parallel and supply them with a 4.5 amp fused 24 volt source then hook the 500ma source I already have for my fans and switch the power on it will all work?
It should work. You'll just get slightly less than the full 100 Watts.

Last edited:
I have placed a 10W lamp in a small foam beer cooler, and the insides got well over 100degF. With 100W, you will start a fire, or a least create a molten puddle of urethane...

Guess I'll drop that to two resistors and build it from wood. I am building a brooder for my hatch and I'm kind of on this build my own ^%*$ kick. Keeps me off the streets and occupied at work.

Those who have notification turned on can dang near communicate in real time. It's all good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back