Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat Sinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Lawn mower aluminum engine heads make excellent heat sinks $1 each at scrap metal yard costs much less than new heat sinks. All I need to do is drill and tap a screw hole. They even have several mounting holes. This IRFP460C mosfet will stay very cool. It beats paying crazy prices for electronic heat sinks.

100_7441.JPG
100_7442.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent tip!
I bet this “heatsink” is good for a couple hundred watts with some airflow.
It could be used in a steampunk amplifier. You could even add a spark plug for decorative purposes.

I wonder how much surface roughness there is and how that impacts Rjc.

Thermal compound is not good enough to allow enough heat transfer with those deep scratches and dirt.

Attachments

• mower heatsink.png
    mower heatsink.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 112
Lawn mower aluminum engine heads make excellent heat sinks $1 each at scrap metal yard costs much less than new heat sinks.
As lone as the scrap yard is close enough so the cost of the gas to drive there and back is less than what you saved. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back