Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

heat sensing transitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tresguey

im looking for a heat sensening transistor. can anyone recomend one and where i can find one. what i am doing is building a unit that will turn on my electric fan for my car at a temp that i want.

All transistors respond to temperature.

Their base-emitter voltage reduces by 2mV/degree C.

However, I think it more appropriate if you use a thermistor.

Those which are normally used in cars are immersed in the coolant and you should be able to get one from one of the accessory manufacturers.

i do work at one of the aftermarket places. the thing is, the old r&d guy dint leave the schematic for the controler. and he used a transitor for the thermister. but we have been haveing trouble with the unit lately. i have been trying to decipher the problem.

He could have possibly be using the base emitter junction as the thermister. The LM34 series temperature sensors are shaped like a TO92 case transistor.
The 1N914 diode has been used for a temperature sensor. When forward biased, the forward voltage varies with temperature. I don't think it is linear or has the range of the LM34 series.

well that is what it was a lm34. when i chiped all the epoxy away from the unit i just assumed it was a transitor. it had no markings on it. now all i have to do is draw up a simple on - off circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back