Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

headphone amplifier with Bass amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan9890

Hi.
I'm trying to build a headphone amplifier... you see, i had a walkman phone earlier which got damaged. Now, my current phone does not give the quality of music, the walkman used to give..

So, i'm trying to build an amplifier, which will not only boost the sound to some extent, but also give a good bass response....

having no luck so far..

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you..

Are you using a cell phone to play MP3's? If it doesn't produce bass frequencies then an amplifier will not help. Instead you need a bass-boost circuit.

any references, audioguru? i need some reference on basics too.. like, what opamp would b best and its various configurations for bass...

I made a bass boost circuit for my stereo.
I measured the frequency response from the speakers that dropped -3dB at 65Hz and made an adjustable boost that compensates. It peaks at 40Hz.
The bass boost uses extra power from the amplifier which might damage cheap speakers or cause the amplifier to clip.

I use TL071 single, tL072 dual and TL074 quad low noise audio opamps.

Attachments

• Bass Extension circuit.PNG
    Bass Extension circuit.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 386
If I'm not mistaken by large and far the output from most cell phones is actually DC coupled, the sound output on my phone is extremely high fidelity, then again it wasn't cheap either.
The big question is how are you putting the songs on the phone and in what format, if it sounds like crap now it's going to sound like crap afterward more than likely, you can't increase lost fidelity. A bass boost circuit it's a cludge at best. Can you list the maker and model number of both phones for reference?

Thank you... The sound quality is pretty good and i'm using mp3s of high bitrates, like 160 n all... so output quality is pretty good...

and some question for Audioguru...
what is the software that you have used for that simulation?
and is there any software that can help me learn electronics better... i mean, using the right components, or getting the right configurations etc etc... all the basic general logical stuff i mean...

I designed and used the circuit many years ago. Then Silicon Chip magazine in Australia published it.
Maybe their signal generator connected to a pc to make the graph.

I'd say don't even think about it. If I got it correctly you're trying to boost the audio of your cellphone using an extra circuit. How you'll put the circuit inside the phone? Op-amp bass boosts and all require high voltage power supply that won't work with the cellphone 3.7v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back