Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HD44780 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking. It must have been online because it's neither one of the copies on my hard drive.

If I remember correctly, they showed driving the SCLK pin with an RC delay to the RCLK pin (a 100 ohm resister between the two pins and a 200nf cap' on the RCLK pin). This allows data to stay in sync' instead of being 1 bit behind as would be the case if you tied SCLK anr RCLK directly together.

Unfortunately this wouldn't be a 2 pin interface because you would still need to drive the LCD 'E' line. I apologize.

I'll keep lookin' online for that data sheet.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike please do not spend more time on this unless you are interested. I am mostly fussing with it for fun.

In most cases a uC for a 1 wire interface would be my choice. But when you have SPI devices, the clock and data can be shared so the 595 is attractive.

I am interested. I just hooked up an LCD to a PIC for the first time just a few weeks ago so the fascination hasn't worn off yet (grin).

As for a uC solution. You could probably use one of those 14 pin PICs in SPI mode just as easily as in UART mode. And you'd probably have a lot more capability (PWM backlight control, commands to "store" and "download" custom font characters, 4x4 keypad, etc.).

Mike

Last edited:
Great.

I have not been up to school to drill the board yet. I was playing with a setup that already had an SPI interface for digital pots. It is much along the line of what Bill posted (another thread) but I was using a 4 bit interface to the LCD. I am still thinking about it but am playing with IR for a while.

A while back I had fun with this inexpensive LCD. It is $2 or less from Electronic Goldmine G15318 and AllElectronics LCD111.

Wintek # WDC2401P-1GNNA. Module size: 4.25" x 0.79" x 0.3". Display size: 3.5" x 0.4". Built-in driver. 14 pin male header pins on 0.05" centers. Includes hook-up diagram
It has internal logic to control the contrast. The display is hardwired to use the 8 bit interface. It has a built in I2C interface but you have to do a mod to use it. The problem is that the wire you need to cut may or may not be hidden under a epoxy blob on the unit. On the ones I purchased epoxy covered the traces in question. Also the pins are on .05 centers. It does not use the HD44780. Yup, it is cheap for a reason.

A while back I built a 3 wire interface using 2 SOIC 74HC595s. This is my first SMD board.

lcd111hw-jpg.19669

lcd111_595-jpg.19670

]
I am interested. I just hooked up an LCD to a PIC for the first time just a few weeks ago so the fascination hasn't worn off yet (grin).

As for a uC solution. You could probably use one of those 14 pin PICs in SPI mode just as easily as in UART mode. And you'd probably have a lot more capability (PWM backlight control, commands to "store" and "download" custom font characters, 4x4 keypad, etc.).
Mike

Attachments

• LCD111HW.JPG
    LCD111HW.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 484
  • LCD111_595.JPG
    LCD111_595.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 440
That looks incredibly nice and after looking at the data sheet I realize you did some pretty good detective work and design work too (grin).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back