Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anyone got an Easypic 5 board that is broken for sale? Or info on how to repair it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ian, Yes mate I know I could but after all the time it took to get used to it I grew to kind of like it. Mainly the fact I can just grab the board and go, that and the fact that after using any other system MPlab is just hideously complex, maybe there is a reason but I don't think it applies to me, I never quite got the hang of its many parts and which to actually use. Maybe I should have started with MPlab and now all would be clear?

Saying that, I will NEVER be buying anything from MikroE again simply based on their total lack of interest in helping customers with older systems. I simply cannot and will not believe that they have NO PARTS or SOFTWARE available for sale! I have worked in retail computers and know that there will be a place somewhere at there base which has a cupboard full of old bits and discs full of old firmware. Caveat Emtor! Al

in fact there is nothing special except the icd section employing PIC18F2550A, and the manufacturer kept the HW and firmware , a secret. none of the manuals allow you see the internal sch of the ide section. Funny guys.

Hi Sarma,

I just tested all the via's on the section, about ten in all. I tested from the nearest solder on one side to the nearest on the other side and all were ok. Wish that would have been the problem, but then again if it had I would still be without the PIC. But nevertheless still a good thought you had.

Thanks again, Al

I dunno Dude but the EasyPic V7 looks like it would be a nice upgrade. I am tempted to order one myself, and $150.00 USD sounds reasonable.

easypic_v7_board_front.jpg

Hi Mike, Go for it mate! Then I can buy your EP5. ;)

But seriously, ME have done with my custom. I wouldn't sleep at night if I provided the same level of service to customers.

BTW consider I didn't expect their services for free! All my communications to them involved me asking for a paid service but from the replies you would think I wanted it for free.

Al

Hi Mike, Go for it mate! Then I can buy your EP5. ;)

But seriously, ME have done with my custom. I wouldn't sleep at night if I provided the same level of service to customers.

BTW consider I didn't expect their services for free! All my communications to them involved me asking for a paid service but from the replies you would think I wanted it for free.

Al
I'm sorry I mislead you, I do not have an EP5 or I would be glad to help you out. I meant the EP7 would be a good upgrade for you. The board looks very nice and great for code development, especially all the debug port features. It just looks so handy I may want to get one :) Good luck in getting yours working:) I am surprised the company is not more helpful.

In fact, except for the icd, all other elements in any easypic are worth nothing IMHO.
pardon me for my frank opinion.

Hi Sarma,

I understand your feelings for the EPs. They are just pre-set up bread boards and there is nothing that cannot be done on a normal breadboard. This was the first thing I got when I started with PIC micro's. It does have its faults and omissions, especially the poor CPU sockets instead of rolled pin ones that would have lasted and saved many many people asking questions on the forums before figuring out it was just poor contacts! The manual is not clear on WHY some of the many jumpers do what they do and much is confusing. The main thing for me is that it is, once familiar, quick and easy to test programming on and I have simply grown used to using it.

Its main benefit to myself is a little saved time and the fact that I don't have to put all the components away separately when the job is done. That is what I miss most. I have too many boxes of components that need sorting already! ;)

Al

Sorry AL,
the firm replied Negative
a copy of message is here.
"It is not possible to re-program IDE chip as that functionality is not provided by Mikroe. Further more since the item is obsolete very little support is available. You may opt for newer EasyPIC v7 unit for which we shall offer you special pricing considering buy back of faulty unit. Advsie so as to ask our team to prepare offer accordingly."

Hi Sarma.

Well you got more than I did friend, They never bothered to offer me a special price. Though even now I wonder if the offer they made is transferable? I would be interested to know the price though and may even be interested at a decent saving, so if you could please ask on my behalf?

Also I thank you for your patience in this thread and the persistence with which you have pursued the result for me.

Thanks, Al

Perhaps being a distributor , he could offer that concession . I fear he may not be able to transfer that offer to another distributor in U K

how ever i need to contact the first fellow who, I said close to my home
he was on camp, last week went waste
Monday 10th May, I would try to reach him and try our luck

Hi Sarma,

Thanks again mate, at least there is still a small hope then.

Al

BTW. When I originally bought the EP5 I had to order it from the company themselves and it was sent from somewhere in Eastern Europe if I remember correctly. I still don't think they have any actual base in the UK.

Hi AL,
I had met the local guy close to my residence. They got dealership of late and they are yet to start working.
As such w e can't expect obsolete items from them. Thus all my sources exhausted.
Incidentally the only and critical item in any development board this type, is the ICD.
The code would be locked. Perhaps you have to close tracking for it

I had checked the mikroe forum which states "I apologize for this, but I think I have explained that the distribution of our programmer chip is not possible, since our company's policy prohibits us from doing that."

Last edited:
Hi Sarma,

Well no-one could ever say you didn't try mate. Thanks for all the sleuthing.

I will still keep everyone posted on any result to my plight. I would still consider an old or broken EP5 though so anyone who ever gets any info or a lead on one please let me know.

Thanks again, Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back