Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anyone got an Easypic 5 board that is broken for sale? Or info on how to repair it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thanks.
perhaps the CD that you got with v5 board would contain the firmware.
otherwise
try to reverse engineer the schematic for that section and cross check with pickkit2 sch
if it is same, you might well use pickit2v2.61 firmware from microchip. but one needs to be careful not to erase the chip
as any hardware fault might camouflage as if firmware mistake.

Incidentally the guy who used to sell the easypic v5 of mikro e is dam close to my home.
let me try to reach him whether he has or could manage a copy of firmware.

elektor magazine may 2008 wrote - "Hardware fans will like to know that the complete schematic and board layout of EasyPIC5 may be found on the CD in the kit."

perhaps you have access to it on the CD that you have. please post the ICD section sch and it helps me study and suggest further. No wonder that same CD might have the firmware hex either.

Hi Sarma, If you can ask the EP5 guy that would maybe be good. I have posted the schematic from the cd but there is no firmware on the disc.

Al

hi Al,
I was curious to see the extent of the damage and see if it's fixable.
We could take from there if its repairable or at least get a second opinion, you have my address.

Eric

Good morning Eric,

There is nothing visible damage wise from looking at the board that's why I am thinking that the PIC must be damaged. The computer completely ignores the EP5 on USB now, no de dum sound even. I admit that it could have (probably did) get a sniff of 300vdc from a project I was working on. Doh! A large FET died and seemed to take everything else with it. Even the USB port I was using is now dead, it also reset my laptop when it popped. I stripped the laptop (something I AM good at) but there was again nothing physical and I cant find any discretes in the line so I came to the conclusion that it must have killed a small part of the USB controller.

If I can't get any joy from ME or these threads I will be more than happy to post the board to you, I know you can do far more than I can and you could well find something I missed. I too was hoping that when I looked at the board after the incident that I would find a tiny crispy track but sadly I couldn't. :(

Anyway I am still hopeful that Sarma may get a result from his neighbour.

Al

Hi Ian, I found the firmware but its an exe file that when run looks for the board on USB. There are no other options at all.

Any solution to this?

Al

Good morning Eric,

There is nothing visible damage wise from looking at the board that's why I am thinking that the PIC must be damaged. ...............................

Anyway I am still hopeful that Sarma may get a result from his neighbour.

Al
i had tried for the concerned firm and as the person is on tour, he suggested to try to contact him on Monday.

i saw the schematic.
i have similar schematic for v6
but the icd section detail is avoided showing only a block sch . I need to check whethr propic 2 from the same mikro-e has any detailed sch

Hi Sarma,

Thanks mate, that's still hopeful then. At the moment I am trying to make sure that the other 3 IC's on the programmer section are ok. There are 2 HCF4053b chips and one CA3083. I swapped the 4053's as I had some but I don't have a 3083, so I may just pull it and test it. There were also 2 discrete transistors that I removed and replaced (both ok). That means if the 3083 is fine the only thing left to chance is the PIC. The 3083 sheet says it is a transistor array so it should be easy enough to test barring accidents removing it. ;)

Al

Update, I removed and checked the 3083 which had all 5 transistors working and even matched within 1 hfe, also checked all the small signal diodes but still no joy.

Still just comes on with power, USB and program LED's ALL on constant and not a beep of recognition from the PC when plugged in. I am now 99.9% sure that the PIC must be damaged somehow! Doh!

Al

you may lift the diode at one end and then try to check . some of them might be schottky type showing low Vf Also, you can make a socket provision for the main PIC in the IDE section (PIC18F2550A with a sticker.) later it becomes easier to replace with new device.
In fact , now that the IDE is anyway not working,
you might try to remove it from the board. place it in some pic programmer and try to read the content it has. If it reads all 0000 it could mean that the pic is locked .
I would prefer , if possible to generate the sch diagram for this ide section alone.
it helps later.
At this juncture, we may take microchip pickit2 schematic as a reference. this can be downloaded from the pickit2v2.61 application at the help section.

PS: PLEASE CHECK R26 & R27 RESISTORS CONNECTING THE USB TO PIC.

Last edited:
I would suggest following means.
1. J6 junper - 1 to 2 to work from internal supply instead of USB_5V.
2. check C15 100n for short and replace if needed.
3. check and if needed replace the switch that powers the IDE
temporarily we can bypass it with small thin copper strand wire.
whether the boared responds after this?

Hi Sarma,

I have tried all you suggested and everything now tests ok after swapping one of the BAT41 and one 4148 diodes which were short. Sadly the board is still the same with all 3 lights on constantly. I checked every single resistor and cap on the programmer section after discovering the dead diodes! :oops:

I have tried external power with the same results even with the jumper and switch both bypassed.

I am confident that the PIC is damaged but on the sticker over the PIC there is a warning saying that attempting to read it will damage the programmer. Is that even possible? Is it safe for me to try reading it with a pickit3?

Al

Al,
as a final trial, could you check the crystal and the caps at its pins for any possible short, please?
Perhaps you could even replace them from your stocks.

Hi Sarma,

I swapped the caps and the xtal but to no avail. Still same results. While I was at it I decided since I have exhausted all other possibilities that I may as well remove the PIC. I have taken hundreds out before even 40 pin ones with never a problem but this decided to play hard to get. Before I knew what was happening the chip was split in two! Just holding together with the logo sticker. I can't believe what happened, like I said never before has that happened.

At least now I can empirically state that the PIC is indeed broken. ;)

Anyway now my options are very limited. I am hoping that your acquaintance can help on his return. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, Al

i had contacted an acquaintance who used v5 earlier.
But he is sure that the firmware might be locked.
Of course he sold off his board .
to day he would contact the buyer and they together analyze the possibility of extracting the resident code. let us wait.
I understand that your have exhausted all aspects of hardware debugging, and finally the chip has to be replaced.
let me contact Bombay person today
all the best

Thanks Sarma,

Good to hear there is still hope. On the upside I have never seen inside an IC before! I didn't realise how little of it is the actual mechanism there is. Nearly all the ICs bulk is connections to the outer world. No wonder they can miniaturize things so well.

Al

To any and all out there,

Just to say that I would still happily buy a broken EP5 or even the PicFlash2 programmer to cannibalise.

Al

You do realise you could just use a pickit3 and just use MPLAB to program the pic on the easypic5 board...

Hi Ian, Yes mate I know I could but after all the time it took to get used to it I grew to kind of like it. Mainly the fact I can just grab the board and go, that and the fact that after using any other system MPlab is just hideously complex, maybe there is a reason but I don't think it applies to me, I never quite got the hang of its many parts and which to actually use. Maybe I should have started with MPlab and now all would be clear?

Saying that, I will NEVER be buying anything from MikroE again simply based on their total lack of interest in helping customers with older systems. I simply cannot and will not believe that they have NO PARTS or SOFTWARE available for sale! I have worked in retail computers and know that there will be a place somewhere at there base which has a cupboard full of old bits and discs full of old firmware. Caveat Emtor!

Al

Hi Sarma,

I swapped the caps and the xtal but to no avail. Still same results. ................... Fingers crossed.Thanks, Al
hope you wont mind to check the icd subsection for possible Through hole plated joints (PTH) for failure. your DMM in diode range could help .

I assure you not to trouble you further like this., LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back