Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Harbor Freight driveway alert system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Tech

Hello, I've got a driveway alert device I purchased from harbor freight. Believe it or not the device works pretty good. The outside unit senses movement using heat I believe. It sends a signal wirelessly to the receiver and a sound is played. The sound is pretty loud but if I have my head phones on I can't hear it. If somebody comes over I don't hear the door knock either. My question is, how hard would it be to take the incoming signal from the outside unit and have it turn a light on and off in the house?

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Thanks for the link Wade. They answered a few questions I had like ways to conserve battery life and ways to stop the leds from lighting up on the transmitter when motion is detected from the PIR. What I need is a way to capture the signal the transmitter unit is sending wirelessly and use that signal to flash a light bulb inside the house. I'm gonna continue reading until my eyes pop. I just had a failed repair attempt of a 60" led tv. I was replacing the leds and right when I was about to finish, the screen cracked. I need some redemption.:banghead:

A low-tech, non-intrusive approach would be to make a tiny unit, call it a Visual Alarm Unit (VAU), comprising a small microphone, audio amplifier (an opamp would do), rectifier and LED. Then mount the VAU on the unit that produces the noise when the alarm system detects movement on your drive.

You could have a socket on the VAU into which you could plug additional LEDS.

Alternatively, you could build a similar VIU that transmitted a wireless signal when the alarm sounded and then have wireless receivers that turned on LEDs anywhere in the house.

You could get really fancy and inject an audio signal into the HiFi system that feeds your headphones.:)

Mics, Wireless transmitters/receivers, audio amps are all available on the net at a very low cost. As you are in the US component access will not be a problem.

Just a few suggestions.

spec

PS: shame about cracking the LCD screen- that is just the sort of thing I would do!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back