Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Handwarmer made out of PCB copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
We are making an egg-fryer from a 7cm x 7cm PCB. (single sided, 2 oz copper covered with conformal coat), It will have a 0.5R resistor made on it with PCB tracks.
If we put 10A through it, how long will it take to heat up the copper to 180degC? (ambient is 25degC)

I guess you have an idea about the cross section of the copper track to find out its current density (A/mm2) at 10A.

If you search "pcb heater design" on YouTube, you'll find several guys who have experimented with designing pcb heaters for several different applications.

If we put 10A through it, how long will it take to heat up the copper to 180degC? (ambient is 25degC)
Heat input = Watts x time.
Heat required = mass (m) x specific heat (sh) x rise in temperature (dt).
You need to know those parameters for each of the components of the system and also take into account insulation below the heater panel.

Your putting 50 Joules into your copper ( I²R = 10² x 0.5) That will give a ~150°C rise in one gram of copper in one second and it'll keep going until it melts. However, the weight of your copper is unknown (to us) and the rate of heat loss is also going to be a big factor.

Mike.

It will take a lot longer to heat up an egg with 50 Watts than just the 2 Oz copper track which serves no purpose.

The eggs do make a mess with a slight epoxy taste.

I've tried a hand warmer Lipo Glove. They are terrible even at 0'C and expensive. But mitts work fine due to the superior insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back