Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Halagon lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now a days in many houses small downlights (ceiling light) are being installed. They are available in 12V as well as 230V. 12V need to be with transformer.

I want to find out what is the advantage and disadvantage using 12V or 230V lamps.

I hope one of you can help me.

Many thanks.

use LED's they are cheaper to run.
and can provide just as much light.
be the first on your block to light your house with LED's.

If I am not mistaken the requirements for low voltage wiring are less challenging because of course, the voltage is relatively low. Keep in mind that for a given power output, lower voltage means higher current therefore larger wire. Still, the power of the bulbs is such that the wire can be fairly small anyway.

Before making a selection - look at the cost of replacement bulbs - there might be a difference. The first time I bought bulbs (120 v) I was shocked - $4 US for one!! A search of the internet didn't yeild anything other than more expensive bulbs. Maybe low voltage bulbs are less expensive.

Hi Mahinda,
If your looking for commercial led light for both inside and outside a company in Australia make and sell them . The link is www.prime-electronics.com.au . I saw the advert in silicon chip magazine and I hope this will help in your quesr for LED down lights.

Cheers Bryan1 :D

A disadvantage of halogen bulbs is that they don't live long if you dim them. They have a method of returning boiled-off filament atoms to the filament, so that it has a long life. This depends on a high temperature. If the bulb is dimmed, the temperature may not be high enough to reincorporate the lost atoms and so the filament thins and burns out quite quickly.

If you don't dim them, nice long life.

FoxyRick.

Thank you for the information.

Down lights are available in two types one is using 12Vbulbs with transformer and other is 230 V bulbs. They both looks same.

What is the difference (or advantage or disadvantegae) using those two types.

thanks.

The 230V ones have a built-in transformer, so they tend to be larger and more expensive than 12V ones. However, 230V bulbs may be used in existing 230V fittings and wiring, without having to rewire for 12V. So 230V bulbs are much simpler to use in an existing installation. Also, should you ever change your mind and want incandescents back, the 230V is ready and waiting.

As far as I know, there is not much difference in efficiency. Maybe if you were using a *lot* of them, 12V bulbs with a single transformer might be a little more efficient than 230V bulbs with their built-in individual transformers.

If it is a new installation, I would use 12V bulbs and a single transformer - it will be cheaper in the long run and the wiring is mostly safer.

Remember though that the 12V bulbs will draw significant current (50W draws 5A, 20W draws 1.7A etc) so the wiring must be thick enough to cope, especially if you are going to parallel several bulbs on the same wires.

Hope this helps,
FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back