Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hair Straightener Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a funny story;

I switched out the comparator for an lm393 and it had no effect, so I gave up and reassembled the straightener. I tested it and it was still non-working. I brought it home with me, to give back to the person who asked me to fix it. I left it on the counter, as I got home late, and went to bed.

When I woke up, I found my mom had used the straightener, (as she wanted to compare it to hers) and she told me "how much better it was than hers" blah blah blah. So somewhere between reassembling and her using it, something *clicked* and it started working again.

Ill never know what fixed it, so I gave it back to the person with no charge for the 'repair' and explained how it started working again, in the hopes that it will stay that way.

Thanks to everyone who helped in the matter!

It was probably a loose connection, perhaps it's the cable?

I take it you checked the cable, it's the first thing you should test before anything else.

Have you tested the comparator you removed?

I cannot tell you how many times I have opened up a broken device, and upon putting it back together (without changing anything), it worked again...

Sometimes I think when I just touch electronics they start to work again!

It was probably a loose connection, perhaps it's the cable?

I take it you checked the cable, it's the first thing you should test before anything else.

Have you tested the comparator you removed?
I checked the power cable (and measured AC on the board) each time I powered it on and didnt work, to make sure there was power at the SCR. I didnt test the comparator as I replaced it with a similar model and the problem remained.

I cannot tell you how many times I have opened up a broken device, and upon putting it back together (without changing anything), it worked again...

Sometimes I think when I just touch electronics they start to work again!

Pesky petite surface mount parts along with cheap solder is a breeding ground for tiny cracks in the solder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back