Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Good evening comrades!

I am stuck on the design of my first Tesla Coil. Having built plasma speaker and having some experience with High Voltage, I must move forward with this project. I will be using 4 Microwave Oven Transformers in Series current limited by a series connected Balum. My question is: Should I or should I not Earth the center tap of the MOT stack that I will use to power my coil?

Here is my design:

Earthed Version
10670-tesla coil earthed.bmp

Un-Earthed Version
10671-tesla coil not earthed.bmp

Last edited:
As an aside...do you have a link to your plasma speaker project?

Ken

Last edited:
As an aside...do you have a link to your plasma speaker project?

Ken

No I am yet to submit a technical report on that to my school. Until than, I am not sharing my very unique design on it. Once I am given academic recognition for the plasma speaker I built, I will publish my technical report that will include all the circuits used in the project ( totaling five boards ).

Thanks!...looking forward to it. :)

Ken

As to your grounding question, it depends upon where the output of the coil is going. If it's just to the local circuit, then you don't need the earth ground. If you are planning on directing the output to some other earth grounded objects, then you should earth ground your circuit. Otherwise there could be arcing from the circuit ground to the earth ground.

As to your grounding question, it depends upon where the output of the coil is going. If it's just to the local circuit, then you don't need the earth ground. If you are planning on directing the output to some other earth grounded objects, then you should earth ground your circuit. Otherwise there could be arcing from the circuit ground to the earth ground.

Thanks, your logic here is flawless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back