Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

green but capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazIII1966

I've been trying to locate schematics, plans or ideas for repurposing the TV Tuner card unit, that I removed from a front projection Sony TV, in conjunction with a PC and back-end video program. I have the card used in the tuner unit and the main tv, and sub tv tuners which were removed from the audio/video boards in the TV. For those who may not be aware, The built in TV Tuner card unit was in place of renting the cable companies converter box, instead all you needed was their tuner card. I will provide the pertinent info to one that may offer me help.

You would need to create a micro-controller system to control it all, both to set the board up and to tune it to the channels you require.

It's not a trivial undertaking, due to the fact that such details are VERY unlikely to be available, and you would need to reverse engineer the circuit and recreate the controlling software.

You would need to create a micro-controller system to control it all, both to set the board up and to tune it to the channels you require.

It's not a trivial undertaking, due to the fact that such details are VERY unlikely to be available, and you would need to reverse engineer the circuit and recreate the controlling software.
Not to mention that most of them use special security components that make reverse-engineering the circuit next to impossible.

For some reason I can't seem to correct a display issue that I'm encountering in the posted thread box. The avatar box covers half of the thread box and prevents me from viewing the posts. I have tried adjusting the width and other preferences yet, to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though not here. I can view the lobby and a pm.
Thanks

For some reason I can't seem to correct a display issue that I'm encountering in the posted thread box. The avatar box covers half of the thread box and prevents me from viewing the posts. I have tried adjusting the width and other preferences yet, to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though not here. I can view the lobby and a pm.
Thanks
Could you post a screenshot?

Last I knew this site wasn't really designed for mobile viewing, so that could be the problem.

It used to work fine uo until a few months ago. In portrait mode, it's useless. I rotate my phone to get around it. Prior to a few months ago, this was not a problem.

SmartSelectImage_2017-06-22-15-47-33.png

I believe there was recently a software update, so with that it probably wiped away all the settings to make it readable on mobile devices (assuming that's what you're using). Unfortunately there isn't an immediate fix that I am aware of, unless the administrators update the software with a mobile-friendly version.

dmiyares Do you have a solution for this?

Not to mention that most of them use special security components that make reverse-engineering the circuit next to impossible.
it could make a nice paper weight or a coaster if you remove all the components...

So how do we get this thing done!!!!!

I most likely did not express the situation clearly. It was late and I rushed it so it may seem a bit ambiguous. I'll try again;

What I have are working components, that are seperately comparted and physically configure to work in conjunction with the TV's tuning and display board. They were connected via data, and power cables. Along with data input/output labels, all required voltages, and grounds are aparrent, clearly indicated, and so labeled. I just want to make it work with my pc but, due to my lack of experience, I need guidance. Encouragment would be nice too! It's kinda old hear how things can't be done.

So how do we get this thing done!!!!!

I most likely did not express the situation clearly. It was late and I rushed it so it may seem a bit ambiguous. I'll try again;

What I have are working components, that are seperately comparted and physically configure to work in conjunction with the TV's tuning and display board. They were connected via data, and power cables. Along with data input/output labels, all required voltages, and grounds are aparrent, clearly indicated, and so labeled. I just want to make it work with my pc but, due to my lack of experience, I need guidance. Encouragment would be nice too! It's kinda old hear how things can't be done.
Oh I see. You're trying to interface the working tuner with a PC instead of with a TV.

Can you please provide photos and part numbers of the device(s) you currently have? Those would be enormously helpful.

Basically the cable card unit is very close to a stand alone pre-assigned, and tuned digital channel converter. The box was internal in some older Sony TV's and the card inserted into the box was d by the local cable co. So I'd still have to supply the signal to the box. like a built in converter that is conformable to any cable company that will provide thier cable card. It's much more than a paper weight due to its content of gold....:arghh:

It's much more than a paper weight due to its content of gold....:arghh:
I wouldn't count on that -- a paperweight is probably worth more than the amount of gold you could actually salvage from any circuit boards. Trust me, I looked into this once :p

I just want to make it work with my pc but, due to my lack of experience, I need guidance. Encouragment would be nice too! It's kinda old hear how things can't be done.

I've already explained what you need to do - it's just that it's rather difficult, unless you can find someone who has done it already using the exact same tuner and IF system.

I was toying with doing something similar a LONG time ago, but I found it impossible to get datasheets or information for the I2C tuners, the closest I could get was a datasheet for the PLL IC actually fitted in the specific tuner I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back