Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS throughput problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi , I plan to use a GPS module at 115200 baud , as this is a high speed GPS receiver . I need this to connect it to atmega16 .

What I am doing is I get long/lat from the GPS and I need to compute approcahing distance from a pre-fed long/lat in the processor at 10Hz/GPS rate.

what I am finding it difficult to figure out is will it be possible to do all this with Atmega16@11.0592MHz XTAL? perfectly or will I face throughput problems .

Regards
Dark

Most GPS receivers will not transmit position strings at more than 1Hz. Yes, you will receive it at 115k but only 1 per second.

The rest of your post I don't understand. Actually, rereading it, it doesn't contain a question.

Mike.

Most GPS receivers will not transmit position strings at more than 1Hz. Yes, you will receive it at 115k but only 1 per second.

The rest of your post I don't understand. Actually, rereading it, it doesn't contain a question.

Mike.

S1722R GPS receiver outputs at 10Hz .

You are correct, it does output at 10Hz.

What is your question?

Mike.

You are correct, it does output at 10Hz.

What is your question?

Mike.

Hi,

Please have a look at my first post : I quote it below

"what I am finding it difficult to figure out is will it be possible to do all this with Atmega16@11.0592MHz XTAL? perfectly or will I face throughput problems ."

Aquiring data at that rate and then computing distance every 1/10Hz. Now how easy is this to be done will the computing match the inputdata flow rate.

Thanks

Hi,

"what I am finding it difficult to figure out is will it be possible to do all this with Atmega16@11.0592MHz XTAL? perfectly or will I face throughput problems ."

Aquiring data at that rate and then computing distance every 1/10Hz. Now how easy is this to be done will the computing match the inputdata flow rate.

Thanks

You will have no problems whatsoever, the Atmega16 will easily manage that.

Mike.

Hi,

They may have missed your question because your question had no question mark. (?)

Isn't the question mark after the letters XTAL? In both the original post and the quote? What planet are you guys from?

Isn't the question mark after the letters XTAL? In both the original post and the quote? What planet are you guys from?
I'm from Earth, USA where question marks are usually at the end of sentences, not in the middle.

What's your planet?

You will have no problems whatsoever, the Atmega16 will easily manage that.

Mike.

Hi Pommie , and others
Let me explain a little more and see option for adding further components.
I can do this without problem with silabs 8051 high clock variant . Atmega16(5V) I have been ask to do has a limitation with XTAL ,if process goes slow I would be left with no option to replace the entire processor.
Is it ok to further add
1)GLCD128x64
2)Software uart @9600bps(scanning at 1 per second)
4) 4 key switches .
My further question is if I time schedule all process for 20ms will it be ok or will it be a burden for the processor ? or how this should be tackled ?

Regards

I'm not familiar with the AtMega but a quick look at the specs suggests it should be able to handle your requirements. I hope you are a good programmer as I suspect the software uart would need to be implemented using interrupts. If the GLCD is KS0108 based then I have example code in C18 which may be useful.

Mike.

I'm from Earth, USA where question marks are usually at the end of sentences, not in the middle.

What's your planet?
A question mark defines the end of a sentence. By definition it can't be in the middle. You're just touchy because you don't like to have your face rubbed in your obvious carelessnes in reading other peoples posts.

The distance between two points would just follow the equation d = sqrt [( xo-x)^2+(yo-y)^2]
Now, GPS is given in hours mins seconds isnt it? this turns into degrees?, just transform that into m or feet then compute the above calculation?
I can see the only tricky party being the square root algorithm, but maybe your chip's compiler provides something in a Math library :)

Anyways, keep us updated I might want to do this someday :D

The distance between two points would just follow the equation d = sqrt [( xo-x)^2+(yo-y)^2]
Now, GPS is given in hours mins seconds isnt it? this turns into degrees?, just transform that into m or feet then compute the above calculation?
I can see the only tricky party being the square root algorithm, but maybe your chip's compiler provides something in a Math library :)

Anyways, keep us updated I might want to do this someday :D

Almost but consider, 1 degree of longitude at the equator is 60 Nautical Miles (69 statute miles), 1 degree at the poles is zero miles. So, it's not that straight forward to calculate.

Mike.

A question mark defines the end of a sentence. By definition it can't be in the middle. You're just touchy because you don't like to have your face rubbed in your obvious carelessnes in reading other peoples posts.
So are you saying that "what I am finding it difficult to figure out is will it be possible to do all this with Atmega16@11.0592MHz XTAL? perfectly or will I face throughput problems ." is two sentences with one question?

If so, you using different rules of English grammar than I was taught. To me, it is a single sentence with a ? in the middle.

Actually I did originally realize there was a question in there. I was just pointing out why others may not have, because of the curious sentence structure. I'm only touchy when someone accuses me of something I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back