Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good USed Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

I would like to get back into playing around with electronics. I am seriously looking for a good used oscilloscope. Can anybody recommend a particular model or manufacturer. I imagine there is some that are considered reliable workhouses that give good performance.

Anything in particular I should be looking for considering it's just for basic electronics.

I asked the same question of some friends locally. The suggestion was Tektronix. Basic chassis and plug-ins are somewhat interchangeable. A local electronics surplus dealer puts them together from his collection for between $100 and $150. While he doesn't formally warrant the stuff he stands behind it informally - if you have a problem, bring it back and he'll make it right. In my case I'd end up with a 'scope that exceeded my capabilites.

If you are here in the US look for "hamfests" - amateur radio gatherings that local clubs have where they sell stuff in a flea market arrangement. If you had a list of the chassis model and plug ins you could shop there. Alternatively just walk around and if you see one ask the seller. A lot of these folks began where you are at and love to help out.

I picked up a nice Hitachi scope in great shape for $75 via one of the friends who offered ideas. Send me a message if you'd like the name of the dealer I described.

Try searching Ebay, I'm sure you can find plenty of stuff there.

Each to their own !

Ask ten 'scope owners and you will probably get ten different recommendations :?

The one I use most is a tiny thing with a screen about 1.5 inch square - yes it is a true cathode ray oscilloscope (Thandar - discontinued :cry: )
My big 'scope only claims upto 5MHz (according to the manual) but I suspect its bandwidth is actually nearer 1MHz :shock: , I rarely use this 'cos the little Thandar one is so handy :wink:

It is easy to be beguiled into buying something far more powerful than you require; 250GHz sampling, 500MHz bandwidth, four trace, 100% pre-trigger, PC interface, seperate tea, coffee and beer spouts ... but will you use them (well, the last one might be nice!).

As Stevez said I already have "a 'scope that exceeded my capabilites".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back