Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
A few years ago my son found a guy who worked for a home electronics store. He was moving and wanted to throw away many "unrepairable" audio items.

My son got a truck and took the load to my daughter's house.
Many cheap stereo systems, CD players, MP3 players, digital cameras and cell phones. Hundreds of wall-wart DC power adapters, headphones, rechargeable batteries and more.

Some worked fine. I think people return them when they don't like the colour.
Some had a small scratch. Some were dead. One very expensive high power home theater amplifier was smashed because it was dropped.

There were 4 or 5 MP3 players of the same kind and they have an 8G mini hard drive. I took parts from the defective ones to fix one and updated its firmware. It even came with a carrying case, rechargeable batteries and headphones.

Another good find
The morning after Halloween I found an open camera bag at the side of the road with a 4G USB memory stick but no camera. The memory has hundreds of the latest songs on it (MP3).

Did you like any of the music on it?

Most of it's probably pirate anyway.

Another good find
The morning after Halloween I found an open camera bag at the side of the road with a 4G USB memory stick but no camera. The memory has hundreds of the latest songs on it (MP3).

If I found that I would assume it was lost or stolen and hand it in to the police as it could enable someone to reclaim their goods or provide valuable evidence of a crime. Had it been a wallet with valuable items removed then I'm sure you would assume lost/stolen and report it.

Mike.

There was no identification of the owner of the camera bag and the memory stick that I found.

There was no identification of the owner of the camera bag and the memory stick that I found.

That is why you hand it in to the police. The person that lost it/had it stolen goes along and asks "has anyone handed in ..."? If it's not claimed then it is returned to you (I assume).

Mike.

That is why you hand it in to the police. The person that lost it/had it stolen goes along and asks "has anyone handed in ..."? If it's not claimed then it is returned to you (I assume).

An old friend's daughter found some money on the street, and her mother told her she should hand it in to the Police - so took her to the Police Station. The Police were quite prepared to take the cash, but refused to give a receipt, or acknowledge the fact the money had been handed in - so what do you think the Police were going to do with the money?.

In the circumstances, and quite rightly, Val declined to let the Police have the money, and let her daughter keep it.

How much money did she find?

If I found a suitcase with 100,000 in it then I'd probably hand it is as I wouldn't if know if it's real money or not, if I found a £20 note, then I'd keep it.

How much money did she find?

If I found a suitcase with 100,000 in it then I'd probably hand it is as I wouldn't if know if it's real money or not, if I found a £20 note, then I'd keep it.

get a 3 dollar marker that tells you if its real or not. tadaaaaa

I don't know about the US but here in the UK every banknote has its own unique serial number. Even if the money was real, it could be stolen and I could be caught if I put it into my bank account or use it to by something expensive like a house or a car.

My wife was paid with a counterfeit paper money bill and when she deposited it the bank nearly called the cops then they discovered that it came from them (the same bank branch) and had the same serial number as many others they had. I saw it and it looked real.

Hi,

On the subject of lost and stolen things, about 15 years ago I found a wallet with about £300 in it. It also had some credit cards, and some personal items in it. I returned it to the owner, and they didn't even thank me for returning it.

About a couple of years later, I found a discount rail card. It had the holders address on it, so i wrote a note, stuck the card and note in an envelope and posted it back to the guy. I got a very nice letter back from him, thanking me for returning his rail card. He did not expect anyone would go to the trouble of returning it.

Times have changed though. I had my wallet stolen whilst I was working on my car. I left the wallet on the car whilst I was underneath it (under the car). when I finished, I noticed my wallet was missing. I assume it was taken by one of my neighbours, since it is a private road, which leads only to the back of the houses on the row. No-one else really comes down the road. The wallet only had about £5 in it, but it also had some photos and other personal items in it.

It makes me 'uncomfortable' to think that one of my neighbours (or one of their visitors) came and took my wallet whilst I was right underneath the car.

Now I don't trust anyone.

Last edited:
I found a wallet on the road. It had money, credit cards and a drivers licence with the address of the owner. I drove pretty far and delivered it but the owner no speeky zee English and I think he thanked me.

today is ran by liars. EVERYONE lies, EVERYONE takes what they want, and no body is to be trusted other than CLOSE friends. not someone you have known for a year, someone you have known for more than 10 years. AND you know they are a true friend. I am so use to lies now-a-days, that when i hear some1 lie i just nod my head like i believe them, while judging them in my head and thinking their pitiful. society really sucks right now, all that bullshiz needs to end.

Call me a sad case but I don't have any friends, no one I'd trust that much. I wouldn't even trust some members of my close family, the only people I'd totally trust is my parents.

Last edited:
On a recent installation posting in Melbourne, awaiting delayed a few days arrival of the main hardware on a ship from Canada, 4 of us (3 from Oz and 1 from Canada) went for a stride on the promenade along the river in the CBD. It was around 11AM and people were in abundonce on the promenade. The Canadian friend step on a $20 note laying in the middle amongst all this crowd of walking people. It was actually 4 notes so fresh from the printers that they stuck together looking like 1. We shared $20 each and few beers soon after :). There was not much else we could do, walking makes you thirsty and we were going to share those beers soon anyhow :). Accept the mirracle when it happens (notes were real) :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back