Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Beginner Micro Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
sweet Thanks alot for all the info. So what would be a good AVR chip to start out using a tiny12? or any recommendations? Also can you tell me what a good chip would be to use on my ir switch project I'm working on? Thank ya'll for everything and I'll try to shut up askin' stupid questions for awhile. Thank you everyone who gave advise I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
psecody said:
sweet Thanks alot for all the info. So what would be a good AVR chip to start out using a tiny12? or any recommendations? Also can you tell me what a good chip would be to use on my ir switch project I'm working on? Thank ya'll for everything and I'll try to shut up askin' stupid questions for awhile. Thank you everyone who gave advise I really appreciate it.

What programming experience do you have?, have you ever done any assembly programing in the past?.

psecody said:
thanks for the info. After looking at all the chips my main problem is I want a programmer thats A. USB and B. Is basically a "developement board" like the board of education that the basic stamp came with.

The $99 ICD2 from Sparkfun is true USB. Note there are a bunch of ICDs out there (I think some are ICD2) that have a USB port, but only use it for +5v power! There is no USB data functionality and you have to use the serial port to actually do programming.

The programmer and demo board are generally two different things. I recommend you just look for 2 products here. Microchip makes a bunch of expensive demo board. I would just get a protoboard and plug whatever you want into it along with your PIC.

Nigel, yes I have programmed in assembly (for the Nintendo). And after a lightbulb clicked in my mind I realized that they make serial to usd connectors so it doesn't matter if its usb anymore because I can use it. The reason I'm looking at the AVR STK500 is that its designed for a beginner and can program alot of their chips. Its still up in the air between the PIC and the AVR but I figure I can always get one then the other no problem so I don't know I'll figure it out before I order, but I promise I'll stop buggin' ya'll about it because I think I got enough figured out to make a decision now. Thanks all

psecody said:
Nigel, yes I have programmed in assembly (for the Nintendo).

The reason I asked was that depending what you've programmed previously, it may be easier to move to either AVR or PIC?.

Personally, I would consider AVR probably easier if you come from a Z80, 8080 background, and PIC probably easier if you come from a 6502, 6800 background.

psecody said:
Nigel, yes I have programmed in assembly (for the Nintendo). And after a lightbulb clicked in my mind I realized that they make serial to usd connectors so it doesn't matter if its usb anymore because I can use it. The reason I'm looking at the AVR STK500 is that its designed for a beginner and can program alot of their chips. Its still up in the air between the PIC and the AVR but I figure I can always get one then the other no problem so I don't know I'll figure it out before I order, but I promise I'll stop buggin' ya'll about it because I think I got enough figured out to make a decision now. Thanks all

You might want to look at an clone ICD2 (in circuit programmer; if you go PIC) and a development board as a two part deal. I have an STK500 that sits in a corner as a programmer. I have never used the on-board stuff.. Bought it thinking I would, then wound up on a breadboard with my circuits.

Also, look at blueroomelectronics.com or search for PIC development boards. If you go AVR, look into a jtag clone. I really wish I did not spend all the money (back then) on the STK500.. It is nothing more than a programmer for me. I would go jtag and breadboard if you go the Atmel way.

psecody said:
Nigel, yes I have programmed in assembly (for the Nintendo).

Do you mind me asking which Nintendo. NES(6502) SNES(65816?) Gameboy(Z80). I'm guessing that you haven't worked on anything later in asm. I see your from Texas, the only companies I know with a Texas connection would be Tradewest/Williams. Did you work for one of them?

Mike.

No I didn't really work for a company programming. I've been programming C++ since about 7th grade (TI calculator basic was my first language then I moved to C++) I learned Java in high school but I pretty much hate it because its useless to me I prefer C++. Now to answer your question. Have you ever heard of an Emulator? Well back in Jr High me and my friends would use them to play old NES and SNES games on the computers at school. About my Sophmore year of high school I realized I could program my own things that would run off these emulators. I used the NES emulator and made afew games and stuff. Computer programming was my main hobby for so many years me and my friends would make games and stuff. My friend is actually making his own engine right now. Anyway the other day I saw an electronics book that mentioned microcontrollers and that they could be programmed and I had forgotten this so I basically got back into tinkering with electronics but was looking for a chip with alot of tutorials and stuff to learn it on. Not as much of the programming part but the actual wiring part because IC's confuse the heck out of me sometimes because I just started using them and I still haven't 100% gotten used to them and I wanted to be sure and have a good reference to look to. Plus I wanted a good flexible chip to use once I got better at it.

You can only learn what is best for you by trying things out =) I'd suggest a few software simulators perhaps. AVR or PIC, both are common. If you want results you do you don't over analyze it. Experiance will teach you the same as it does everyone else =>

I'm surprized no one has mentioned the AVR Butterfly. You can get a book, and the butterfly (sports an Atmega169 processor, LCD, joystick, etc, etc.) all for 40 US dollars. Try this link:
**broken link removed**
Myself, I like the PICs, and nothing beets an ICD2, and development board. Sparkfun is a great place to shop:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php
I have a couple of futurlec's boards, and they do have sockets so you can remove the chips, and change them, however, they must be programed with the programer that futurlec provides, or Pony programmer, and both seem quite buggy to me, compared with an ICD2.
robert

sweet that is awesome I didn't see that, thanks for that I'll definantly look into that. I'm ordering the STK500 then I will look at that. I really like that it has a display I think I'll get it just to play with that. Thanks for the recommendation

I didn't mention the Butterfly for a complete newbie to electronics because under certain circumstances the Butterflys can be rendered un-programmable, though I don't remember what the exact conditions were. It is ready made for a lot of hobby projects though.

Hi this will be my first post. I've just started getting into PIC's, (I was running many Basic stamp 1's for years). I'm Hoping to begin programming in assembly, and maybe move into the C languages. I just thought that it would be good to increase my micro-processor power in projects, and didn't think many stamp 2's would be cost effective! I've started out with the K8048 Kit programmer from velleman, and I hope this will see me through the early days. I think Programmer software wise, I'll be using MPLab and the included software. Has anyone got suggested improvements to this setup? Thanks for reading!

BackFire1 said:
Hi this will be my first post. I've just started getting into PIC's, (I was running many Basic stamp 1's for years). I'm Hoping to begin programming in assembly, and maybe move into the C languages. I just thought that it would be good to increase my micro-processor power in projects, and didn't think many stamp 2's would be cost effective! I've started out with the K8048 Kit programmer from velleman, and I hope this will see me through the early days. I think Programmer software wise, I'll be using MPLab and the included software. Has anyone got suggested improvements to this setup? Thanks for reading!

Just be warned the Velleman K8048 won't work with USB to RS232 adapters.

blueroomelectronics said:
Just be warned the Velleman K8048 won't work with USB to RS232 adapters.

Thanks for the concern blueroomelectronics, but I'm lucky enough to have a serial port on my computer despite it being a recent (1 yr old) package deal! I think its quite worrying so many computer's are made nowadays without serial and parallel ports, after all these are the only ones really accessible to the hobbyist... Ah well. Roll on the 18f devices with USB support I guess :)

They do however still make serial port add on cards, I'm sure they do for laptops as well but I'd imagine they're relativly expensive because there's not exactly a huge need for them. Sometimes though it's quiet useful to have a nice simple hardware UART to work with.

Hi,

I was in Reading today for a one-off job...beezare :eek: You've got some crackers there :D

USB - > serial converters are fine in my experience, EXCEPT when a circuit uses the +/- 12v at the RS232 end to provide...well...a 12V+ power source. They generally have a +/- 7.5v output swing. Also *some* serial bridges don't control all the lines on the connector, which many programmers require for switching programming voltages etc..

If you've got serial then its all good. I think the PICkit2 is accessable to the hobbyist..I don't know if Farnell are still doing a deal on it (entire kit+ programmer = 22 quid). You could also check ebay, there are quite a few electronics shops with PIC support hardware (and PIC's).

Regards,

Blueteeth

Just taken some pics, thought I might as well upload them. I'm very happy with my soldering on this project, I've been way out of practice! Couple of pic chips I've been saving from other sources. Just need a power adaptor now. Anyone got a cheap uk retailer for a +12v DC source in mind?

Attachments

• DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00076.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 148
Its alive!!!! I ran the included demo programs and hurah-hooray we have success! Flashing light's a plenty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back