Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equivalent micro to NEC UPD78C10

Boxnut

Hi people
I am trying to disassemble code for an NEC UPD78C10 for patching.
My crude disassember doesn't parse ASCII or data strings, so the code is mis aligned throughout. (bad code)
Does anyone know of a micro with compatible hex op codes ?
I used IDA PRO that looks like it parsed ASCII strings, but the code is not even close. I really need help with this.
I am hoping such micro is supported with IDA.
TIA
Dan

Regards, Dana.

Datasheet and instruction codes for the micro, lot's of sheets of paper, and a pencil or two - and do it manually - depending how much code there is, it might not be too bad a job. A lot depends if the code was written in assembler, on in C - C produces really horrible assembler code, and makes it difficult to manually disassemble.

Or you could try writing your dis-assembler?, although it really depends on the processor how difficult it might be.

Long, long ago I wrote a PIC disassembler, as far as I know the first that was available?, and it was a fairly easy job because of it's RISC architecture - it took less than a week, and was built-in my PIC programmer software. I wrote the disassembler while I was waiting for a programmer PCB to arrive from Dontronics in Australia.

Are you wanting to change the actual code, or just the data or strings? - if it's just data or strings, then a simple HEX editor would do the job.

Thanks, I am using MAME
The Keerden disassembler wouldnt compile.
The target is a controler for a radio with 64K external eprom.
The problem is MAME disassembles everything as code. There are 24 pages of text strings in the code. I have been parsing the strings by hand.

Thanks, I am using MAME
The Keerden disassembler wouldnt compile.
The target is a controler for a radio with 64K external eprom.
The problem is MAME disassembles everything as code. There are 24 pages of text strings in the code. I have been parsing the strings by hand.
Is it the strings you want to change? - a hex editor will usually display the ASCII characters at the right of the editor screen, and allow you to easily alter them.

Datasheet and instruction codes for the micro, lot's of sheets of paper, and a pencil or two - and do it manually - depending how much code there is, it might not be too bad a job. A lot depends if the code was written in assembler, on in C - C produces really horrible assembler code, and makes it difficult to manually disassemble.

Or you could try writing your dis-assembler?, although it really depends on the processor how difficult it might be.

Long, long ago I wrote a PIC disassembler, as far as I know the first that was available?, and it was a fairly easy job because of it's RISC architecture - it took less than a week, and was built-in my PIC programmer software. I wrote the disassembler while I was waiting for a programmer PCB to arrive from Dontronics in Australia.

Are you wanting to change the actual code, or just the data or strings? - if it's just data or strings, then a simple HEX editor would do the job.
I have been doing this by hand, 64K bytes worth. Very obvious written with a macro assembler so rather easy. Just tedious and very time consuming. Once I get the strings defined, the rest should be working code.
The target has what I call a bug and want to add a function to its operation, a simple patch.
Done this before, but on a micro well documented and supported by IDA.
TNX

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back