Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Beginner Micro Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers HouseOFwax but I couldn't bear to wait, I went and paid a huge sum of money for a power converter in a supermarket! Have you had any problems, or have you got any tips for working with the K8048?

BackFire1 said:
Have you had any problems, or have you got any tips for working with the K8048?
Hmm, problems no, not really, just my own mistakes now and then. For example having forgotten that I had Progpic running and when I tried firing it up again it returned errors claiming that there was no pic present. I've done that a few times.
The only tip I can think of is make yourself an ICSP lead, it makes things a lot easier ( and quicker ) for trial and error programming. Also, it saves wear and tear on the PIC / socket. Personally, I made a breadboard adapter with a built in ICSP lead, out of an IC socket, stripboard, a dpdt switch and an adapted socket that I found in a disused PC.

House0Fwax said:
Personally, I made a breadboard adapter with a built in ICSP lead, out of an IC socket, stripboard, a dpdt switch and an adapted socket that I found in a disused PC.
That sounds really useful. Don't spose you could upload a picture?

Uploading random video of light chaser. This was an included demo with my programmer kit, I did not write the code! In 3GP format once unzipped. the latest free version of quicktime should play it!

Attachments

• MOV00001.zip
    104.7 KB · Views: 108
Not to be too critical I hope, but if you're going to take pictures like that, please invest in a desktop tripod =) You can get them for less than 20 dollars in the states, not sure about in the UK. They're hardly bigger than a camera bag collapsed and increase the quality of the shots you can take big time.

The poorness of the picture's is a combination result of my unsteady hand, and also I took the picture with my camra phone (Sony Erricson K750i), for me the idea of a nice dedicated digital camera is but a distant dream, I am a student after all!

BackFire1 said:
The poorness of the picture's is a combination result of my unsteady hand, and also I took the picture with my camra phone (Sony Erricson K750i), for me the idea of a nice dedicated digital camera is but a distant dream, I am a student after all!

A better camera will not help if you can not hold it still. Try resting you elbows on somthing while you take the pic. Holding you breath can help too.

Maybe put the board on the seat of a chair and rest your elbows/arms on the back. Position the board to reduce glare if needed.

3v0

Suggession needed.
I started PIC programming a month ago. I make all the circuits with PIC on BreadBoard.
I am using PIC16F877A for my practice.
Now i want to use a devolpment board. also have a ICD2 connector for Inchworm.. Cheap also.
Where can i buy these boards?? Must be cheap.

Ayne said:
Suggession needed.
I started PIC programming a month ago. I make all the circuits with PIC on BreadBoard.
I am using PIC16F877A for my practice.
Now i want to use a devolpment board. also have a ICD2 connector for Inchworm.. Cheap also.
Where can i buy these boards?? Must be cheap.
Any PCB prototyping board with 0.1" standard spacing will work. The ICD2 connector can be as simple as a row or double row of 5 pins.
I'm looking in to a generic PCB same size as the inchworm PCB for just as you described.

Opps, development board. What would you like to see? I'm working on a larger Dragonfly style unit (16F877, 16F887, 18F4550) with LCD, 3x4 Keypad, RS485 and 300 hole solderless breadboard. Is that the sort of thing? Of course firefly is a simple tutor system

Last edited:
Maked by me

I make this for me.
Now the problem is hot to transfer it on my Copper coated sheet..
I make it in PCB123

Attachments

• Pic trans.GIF
    Pic trans.GIF
    8.5 KB · Views: 157
Ayne said:
I make this for me.
Now the problem is hot to transfer it on my Copper coated sheet..
I make it in PCB123
You should add a couple of 0.1uf caps as near as possible to the PICs power pins. The Inchworms powersupply can supply your board with up to 800ma.

Looks good to me, I'm knocking one up on a protoboard (tripad) I got from ebay, jsut while I wait for my PCB's to be made for 'the beast' board (which I spent far too long designing).

You could use stripboard if making PCB's is a hassle? The convenient thing about most micro's, especially PIC's is the pinout, most ports are in the correct order on the pins. Any 'odd' placements you can use jumpers, or wirewrap wire under the board to connect. Might not be easy for complicated designs, but for bringing I/O's to headers, providing power, a clock, and a programming header, it does the job. Plus you can easily design stripboard in a CAD software, like eagle, or PCB123, just remember which way the tracks go (left to right for your picture) and marks any track cuts.

That said, ebay has many dev boards, with and without components. In fact, if you google 'development board PIC' and use the 'images' to narrow down the search, I'm sure you'll find those nice little protoboards which give power, rs232, programming header (ICD2, ICSP etc..) port headers and a prototyping area for around 12UKP (23USD I ithnk..). I made my own because I like special headers for certain things, like nokia LCD's, but apart from that, it'll do everything you need.

Hope this helps, (sorry if I repeated anything),

Blueteeth

Ayne said:
I make this for me.
Now the problem is hot to transfer it on my opper coated sheet..
I make it in PCB123

For free you can do this process DIY PCBs

I you want to skip some of the trial and error and use a more fool proof system you can **broken link removed** for less the 5 cents per square inch.

First board made using 15 minute method

Attachments

• etchedBoard2.JPG
    etchedBoard2.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back