Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gold wafer card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

charcoal

Hi,
I’m currently trying to plan out a project involving the output from a Gold Wafer PIC card. Basically what I want to do is have two lines from the card (CLK and DATA) interface to the clock and serial data inputs respectively of an 8-bit shift register (or two cascaded 4-bit registers) in a serial-in-parallel-out config. The parallel output of the shift register(s) would then be fed to two 4-into-16 decoders, one for the most significant 4 bits and one for the least. When the outputs of these decoders hit a certain value (e.g. 5 and 8 ) it would activate an AND gate attached to the appropriate outputs and thus light a led.
Basically all I need the gold wafer card to do is output a preset string of 8 bits in length and then stop, whilst outputting a clock signal on another line (unless an external clock is used), however I can’t find any info on how to interface one of these cards to an actual circuit, whether I need an external clock and if so how it should be connected etc.
There is a basic schematic of the card at **broken link removed**. It is based on a PIC 16F84/16F84A with the five wires needed for programming only.

Could anyone help with ideas of how to interface a card like this (for output, as well as for programming), links to existing schematics on the net or even help with how to output the required data from the PIC (although I’m probably asking in the wrong section of the forum for that last one)?

Thanks

I really don't know to much on PIC's yet. But why don't you just run a wire from the clock input to the PIC to a breadboard or circuit board. Then run wires from the parellel outputs to a breadboard. Then you would get you 8 bits of data and a clock pulse on the breadboard.
Hope I've been of help.

That would work fine for a standard 16F84(A) PIC, but with wafer technology the chip is constructed inside a plastic 'smart card' type device, with only the Vdd/Vss, /MCLR and serial clock and data pins showing. I don't really know much about PICs myself, but I can't find anything on wafer cards at all.

either could I, sorry I couldn't have been more help. :(

Have a look at...........

**broken link removed**

I hope it helps.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back