Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Git Hub 7.4bn Data mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
So MSis about to announce its purchase of Github, so what? Well expect it to go the way office did with renting space, but more than that...it gives them access to alot of open source code, it gives them a peek into all the closed repos to see what is being done wih linux etc.

Considering win 8-10 have been utter flops and the nokia deal and skype deal dead ducks, its a sure fire way to stay ahead of the competition and make sure linux looses its current traction.

If i was involved in linux i would be pulling all my code out, what concerns me is the deal is about done but they have had access for months, you got to ask one question......whats in Github that its worth $7.4bn to MS? you dont spend that cash without a really good reason. Its a mature platform so they are not betting on the future, if you put on tin hats the only conclusion you can reach is fear of the competition and a need to see what they are doing.

Linux has managed to keep ahead because many people work on it, but they do this via one platform...git hub

Interesting viewpoint.

Interesting viewpoint.
Its a view i formed after the release of those papers when gates was in charge, he openly admitted linux was a threat, when (cant remember the name now) laptop company started shipping linux via there laptops at pc world (few years back) MS brought the laptop company and closed it.

Take a look at some of the open source office applications around, not just star office from SUN but some of the others. Some of these office programs are openly compatible with MS office but many are better software and free, again mostly volunteer or trust funded projects but as office 365 revenue declines and people switch to these, it would worry MS. So how to get ahead again? the main thing these software programs have in common is they use GIT hub for collaborative working.

So buy out Github and have complete access to all your open source rivals software and future plans. Github dosnt make enough money to justify half the $4.7bn price tag. I dont remember what it turns over but its peanuts, it dosnt do anything except offer a place for people to work on code. So can you think of any other reason to buy it?

I find it worrying myself but would like others take on it.

I'll bet the search term "Github alternates" is getting a work out now.

funny enough git lab servers have just crashed

even my server has a github clone/fork on it. But that still gives MS alot of code thats on the backup mirrors

I'm sure MS is going to go full on getting all it's Visual Studios hooked up with GitHub natively and kill that horrible old VisualSVN that they have. Also expect monthly cost to go up a bit.

I'm sure MS is going to go full on getting all it's Visual Studios hooked up with GitHub natively and kill that horrible old VisualSVN that they have. Also expect monthly cost to go up a bit.
Good point, that makes sense but dosnt account for the price, the monthly cost will fall inline with there other products and they will do a deal to try and soak up the market. Whats your take on the code access they now have?

That bothers me more than anything. SVN was junk from the start, i think most people using studio use Git anyway dont they? The other rumour is dropbox or whatever the other one is called. MS used to have innovation, the word that springs to mind now is leech

Yeah 4.7b is a lot... but there are some really crazy valuations out there now. My hunch is they're going to go after the user base of enterprise users and either move them to Vis.Studio team OR (and this would be best) move VSTS to GitHub :) I could hope. Microsoft has put some money behind other open source projects. I know they were working with Ubuntu and I think (must google & verify) they bought or put a lot of money into a distro (like ubuntu) a few years back.

Yeah 4.7b is a lot... but there are some really crazy valuations out there now. My hunch is they're going to go after the user base of enterprise users and either move them to Vis.Studio team OR (and this would be best) move VSTS to GitHub :) I could hope. Microsoft has put some money behind other open source projects. I know they were working with Ubuntu and I think (must google & verify) they bought or put a lot of money into a distro (like ubuntu) a few years back.
Cinnamon i think is where they stuck the money, and guess which linux desktop is now the worst?

You could be right about the VS, apparently thats loosing favor and the user base is dropping off a bit. I know on my own course (Environmental engineering masters ) they have switched over to Ruby!! And some other language i have never heard of (peanut???)

in the past, M$ has bought and closed competitors (and appropriated their code). you don't pay billions of dollars for an open source code repository without a plan. if M$ needed a platform of their own for hosting code internally, they could fork github and make their own internal platform.

there also exists the possibility (however small), that M$ developers are so overwhelmed by security holes in windows going unnoticed until the software has already been deployed, that they want to have code available for peer review, so the security problems can be dealt with before deployment. the current method of putting proprietary stuff out there, and waiting for somebody to exploit flaws, and then fixing the flaws, has clearly been a disaster. open source software has always had the advantage that people can see the source code and recognize security holes. since open source software is open to peer review during development, security flaws get recognized and corrected a lot sooner.

so, there's two sides of the coin.... heads: they want to absorb and then eliminate the competition or tails: they have recognized that code without peer review is snake oil, and want to change the way they develop code, so they aren't being embarassed by the constant barrage of exploited security flaws.

Just watched this. Look at the eye blink rate.

So they are taking out the competition, MS languages only will be able to fully use it, you watch. MS a development tools company first?? eah....erm MS was first a OS rip off company. I cant see this being good. Monopolies should have blocked this, most things they touch turn to rat ****.

How can a CEO say he dosnt know about his companies relationship with facebook??

Favorite quote from that is "Trust is everything to us"

turn to rat ****.
OK LLG, I have to finally say it, knock off using that "****" expression, it is not considered appropriate on this site and well you know it.

To clear any doubt, I am not a prude and use strong words in several languages multiple times per day.

Your attempts to sneak around the censor feature of the forum are wearing thin, just knock it off.

JimB

The interesting thing about that video is the nodding whilst talking about MS and the incongruence when talking about "keeping it open". Notice the head shaking (around 2:00) while talking about the things they don't intend to honour.

Mike.
Yeah i laughed at the keeping it open bit. But i am still more concerned about the closed repos, It cant be easy for larger projects to simply switch, besides you can bet they got data already. Nothing he said justified the price tag, and they dont spend that kind of money for nothing.

OK LLG, I have to finally say it, knock off using that "****" expression, it is not considered appropriate on this site and well you know it.

To clear any doubt, I am not a prude and use strong words in several languages multiple times per day.

Your attempts to sneak around the censor feature of the forum are wearing thin, just knock it off.

JimB
No one thinks your a prude for getting in a twist over a word in the dictionary. I expect your just over stressed with all the work it takes to run this place, the spam cant help either. Might help if you get a couple of more mods, that way we can have one each. Should make things easier for you.

Anything we as members can do to help just let us know, we hate the thought of you hardworking moderators getting stressed. As always we are all willing to help.

Swearing in several languages.....very impressive, is Scottish one of them? Or Gaelic? Gaelic would impress

LG

Really!!! Do you want to borrow a stick LG... Your prodding isn't subtle enough!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LG -
I agree with Jim, that word is a bit too close to the real thing to be appropriate for a family-friendly site like ETO. I respectfully ask that you limit its use.

Jim -
Let it go. No need to carry on.

By the way i didnt write in red, shame mod edits arnt more obvious, looks like i m talking to myself!! No jim i dont want to take your stick away, how you going to get about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back