Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting PCBs made

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurff

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes PCBs when I only need 2 or 3? I dont really want to spend a months mortgage on it as they will only be used as prototypes.

Thanks for your time guys
Kind regards
Danny

You can make your own, too, if they aren't too complex, for next to nothing. You'll need an inkjet printer, an iron, and some acid from Radio Shack.

INKJET?? you mean Laser printer

a laser printer deposits small particles of plastic unlike ink.
as for acid = 1 part muratic acid then ADD 2 parts hydrogen peroxide
pretty good program is express pcb.

Thanks guys I will check them out. Not thought about making my own.. nice :)

Thanks again, have a good weekend.
Danny

Both PCB123 and ExpressPCB do small PCB quanities and provide free software to do the schematic and layout.

Anybody use Futurlec's PCB service? I just checked the price at PCBcart and its about double the quote I got from futurlec.

Since when has Futurelec had a PCB service? They just supply stock boards.

You can use inkjet but you need to use the photo process, not the transfer method.

The photo process is more reliable and yields higher quality boards but you need to buy photo-resist or pre-sensitised board so it works out more expensive.

The photo process is more reliable and yields higher quality boards but you need to buy photo-resist or pre-sensitised board so it works out more expensive.
If you have the right setup both procedure produces good results. The consumables are more expensive with the photo process and they age. The up front costs for toner transfer are greater due to the cost of laminator and laser printer.

I am not talking about toner transfer done with mystery paper and a clothes iron. It can work but is not of the same quality.

For me the set-up charge for transfer was cheaper, £0. I already had a laser printer long before I decided to use toner transfer.

You're probably right that using magazine paper plus a clothes iron yields inferior quality to special proprietary paper plus a laminator.

However going on my research I'd say photo transfer is probably the best and most consistent method.

If you want to be current you need to work with or read about the current toner transfer methods. The pulsar transfer paper is very good. 100% release, the laminator provides a good transfer.

I am not saying anything negative about photo transfer execpt that the stuff ages.

However going on my research I'd say photo transfer is probably the best and most consistent method.

You could go one further step using photo transfer. There are small print shops making advertising stuff for small companies to distribute in households. Many of them also have Gerber photoplotter equipment.

Gerber plots have the advantage of deep black and crystal clear on the film material, which guarantees 100% transfer without losses. Also the film material is very thin and therefore almost no misexposure is possible due to refraction.

If you are going to use that service take along an Eagle copy to have the proper software to convert Eagle files to Gerber files.

Boncuk

after im done hashing out my circuit im going to be trying out the toner transfer method myself.

my circuit is looking to be simple enough that i might just do it manually with a sharpie though :p

Wow guys, cheers. Loving this forum :)

Oh, btw I am in England but I guess it doesnt matter with the internet right? I obviously need to add shipping cost etc I know but I am in no hurry for them. Just pricing up a product. I want to put another thread together about actually making a product to sell and if anyone has actually done it etc.

Thanks again guys, have a good weekend.

How flexible is Futurelec with the 10mil track/spacing limit? 10mil is 0.254mm, which means I can't use any chip with 0.5mm leads, which is almost all the chips I use now-a-days. That's a huge limitation for me. I've already had issues with the 8mil limit on 2 sided boards from other manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back