Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting Parallel Data from USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirmaldev

We have this project on an object tracking robot. It uses an onboard webcam to take images, which are sent to a computer and processed in Matlab to identify the target position and the computer generates the control signals for the movement of the robot.
The problem is that there is no parallel port in our laptop. So we are thinking of sending the data to the usb port and then somehow making it parallel data. When i googled "usb to parallel", i could see that many usb to parallel port converters are available. Id like to know if we can use those converters? Or is there a simpler method to convert the serial data from usb to parallel?
Thanks

yes there are plenty of USB to Serial adapters available. Recently I bought such an adapter called HL USB-RS232. I think thats a chines brand. I'd not recommend you to buy that because I'm still experiencing difficulties using that with Windows HyperTerminal. Sometimes it works perfectly but sometimes not :mad: Used it with a custom C# app and it worked fine.

I know its been a while since ive posted any updates on our project. We gave up the idea of using a usb to parallel converter and switched to usb to serial converter to send serial data from matlab to the usart pin of microcontroller PIC 18f452 at a baud rate of 4800. The pic sends control signals to control the motors of the robot. The problem that we are facing now is that it takes too long to open the serial port in matlab, more than 15 minutes. Once it is opened we are able to send the data accurately, but occassionally matlab crashes as well. Anyone got any why this is happening? (We are running on MS Windows Vista ,2.4GHz 3 GB ram dual core processor. The converter is Bafo usb to serial converter 810)

Last edited:
The problem that we are facing now is that it takes too long to open the serial port in matlab, more than 15 minutes.
That is an eternity in CPU time! It must be a error in your MatLab program. Have you tried using the serial port adapter with something like HyperTerminal and see how long it takes to "open" the COM port and send some text?

It is some problem with my lap i guess. i borrowed a friend's lap and the port opens instantaneously. Thanks for the reply kchriste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back