Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting into Pic programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a schematic I use

I have a test board wired to check ports. The Junebug is charlieplexed so its not real easy to just turn on one LED.
I want more control over the ports thus this test board.
just connect the LEDs to desired port pins etc.
very basic but it works.
I wanted to test a PWM project I am working on (LED candle flickering) using 3 LEDs.
on my test board I soldered a 5 pin header so I can connect the programming cable from the Junebug to my test board w/o pulling the PIC every time I want to change the code.

Attachments

• Capture8-4-2009-6.35.37 AM8-13-2009-7.56.17 AM.png
    Capture8-4-2009-6.35.37 AM8-13-2009-7.56.17 AM.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 267
Hi MrDeb how are you?
I made a LED candle flickering with a 12f508 and some resistors to make a sine wave
You posted a link way back to how to do it that way so I tried it with some yellow leds
It worked better then you would think

sine wave??

I used PWM. Am assuming its different than the sine wave your talking about?
lets see, resistors = must be a ADC circuit??
I recall you were working on something using ADC??
I am trying to complete the project using the flickering candle but other things get in the way.
building a Lego table, a Theremin (grandparents revenge) for my 4 year old grandson)as well as preparing for the county Fair next weekend.

No that chip don't have adc . You use 5 resistors as a voltage divider. By changing which one is on you can very the voltage. here is the circuit

Attachments

• candle.PNG
    candle.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
that can't be right??

looking at schematic, the transistor turns on and all three leds turn on.
by varying the base voltage the transistor conducts less thus dimming the leds??
isn't this hard on the transistor (not saturated??)
maybe I is missing something??

It works I ran it for about a hour and my little 2n3604 don't get hot your just talking about 60 mA wouldn't be any thing different then it osculating

good point

I recall a circuit I was working on doing about the same thing but a slow transition.
also with a cds light sensing
wish I had knowen more about PICs before ordering all the parts.
still need to build it.

Attachments

• Capture8-8-2009-6.35.37 AM8-14-2009-7.09.52 AM.png
    Capture8-8-2009-6.35.37 AM8-14-2009-7.09.52 AM.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 253
Get the PICkit-2 from Modtronix
**broken link removed**

and see the adapter on Talking Electronics site:

Attachments

• ConnectorTopView.jpg
    ConnectorTopView.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
We don't need one MrDeb has two junebugs and I two pickit2 and 6 kinds of JDm got it covered thanks for the post any way.

I is down to one juney

The kid I have been working with designing and hopfully build a spectrum analizer / graphic equalizer is headed to Idaho State Universcity come next week. His mom bought my second juney.
I added the cost of both then divided by 2 = $25 each
good deal for both.
will look at the adapter colin55 limked to??

Gday people,

I am new to PICs and I was wondering what would be the ideal microcontroller and module to program a motor. The microcontroller needs to fit in a 1.5cm diameter pin and consume very little power. I have searched around an the PIC 16F877A is my choice at the moment. Any suggestions???

Mr sJUDGE

Talking Electronics has a module to drive a motor, PIC LIC-2 using a
PIC16F628. You can also use an H-bridge.

Blueroomelectronics,, good idea...I'll start a new thread just after these three replies.
I'll give you all the details on the new thread.

colin55

Are you talking about the PICkit-2 from: Modtronix as it states on Multi Chip Programmer

Please let me know, if this is the module you are referring to?? Also this Modtronix, would you happen to know if they post to Australia??

Cheers

Ok after searching around, I'm thinking the MICROCHIP - DV164121 - DEBUG KIT, EXPRESS, PICKIT2. Would that suit my needs?? Farnell are selling the kit for $100AUS, is that a good price??
Again, I am new to PIC microcontrollers and need to control a small motor. I also need a low power operating microcontroller.
Cheers

Is there any benefit in the PICkit-3 over the PICkit-2?

Farnell currently have an attractive price in Australia on the PICkit-2 and PICkit-3:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Which one should I order?

I am currently running the PICkit-1 and also have a Jaycar kit for ICSP - one of the ones mentioned by the OP:

**broken link removed**

This kit is clunky, slow, and doesn't like USB PCs (RS232 Serial based).

Thanks,

David

sJUDGE - -- Learn to start to READ.

Buy PICkit-2 from: Modtronix, it is less than $50.00

PICkit-2 will do everything you want to do.

<snip: spam link deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back