Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting into Pic programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I was thinking about getting into PIC Programming and experimenting and was trying to decide what setup to buy to get me started.
I am in Australia and in a rural area so I cant just walk into a shop and start talking about it.

Hi there. I've recommended this before to other PIC newcomers and I'll do the same for you:

**broken link removed**

This is a full C programming for PIC Microcontroller course with a development kit included. I used this when I was starting off (although I had the older version) and it was fantastic - it assumes no prior knowledge and will take you through from flashing an LED (the hello world of embedded programming) right up to advanced topics like multiplexed displays, keypad inputs, LCDs, etc. You can also get an Assembly tutorial if you prefer, and actually if you've no prior knowledge of assembly I'd recommend you learn it because the knowledge gained and concepts learned are invaluable, even when using other languages like C.

With regard to not being able to "walk into a shop and talk about it", make no mistake that we are no better off here in the UK. Sure, we have a Maplins store in most cities but gone are the days when you could walk in and engage in design related tech-talk with the guy behind the counter. These days the focus is in car entertainment and disco lighting. Other than that they're pretty clueless now! That's been my recent experience anyway.

Good luck with your learning. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, but be aware that once you become familiar with Microcontroller programming, you'll end up swamping yourself with project ideas!!!

Brian

Last edited:
Lol I want 10 of them I can make 10 boards with any pic on them for what one of them cost.

Good for you. It's nice to be experienced, isn't it. However, you have to start somewhere. Besides, some of that cost is attributed to the CDROM tutorial.

Anyway, I offer it as an option. It certainly helped me a lot.

Brian.

It's nice to be experienced, isn't it.
I don't no about that But it is good to be able to read and no what you read means. I have only been using pic's for maybe 8 months before that it was a basic stamp2. But I want to learn and I don't give up

Bbe80be thanks for that schematic...so basically i set that up, and then connect the ribbon to which connector in the junebug?

also, do i remove that other PICs on the junebug when using the 18F452? and when using the 18f452, do i select that chip in MPLAB?

Don't say Basic here, it gives me shivers..hehe

Well Bill "blueroomelectronics" is always here for support, which he does allot. Support is key when your learning, of course we are always here as well. there are many talented people on this site that is for sure:)

Enjoy and remember it is supposed to be fun:)

I don't no about that But it is good to be able to read and no what you read means. I have only been using pic's for maybe 8 months before that it was a basic stamp2. But I want to learn and I don't give up

Last edited:
ok..im pretty happy with myself..soldered the junebug together and the LED demo program works..now to get the PIC18F452 up and running...

Turn off all the dips and hook your cable up is all you do here a picture the dips
in the pic are not all off you most set them all off

Attachments

• GEDC0460.JPG
    GEDC0460.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
so you dont really need a 10 core ribbon cable?

also, how do you fix the ribbon cables to the holders? you remove the plastic and then jus insert the wires into the connectors or solder them to the metal contacts jutting out?

The 10 core cable was for ease of assembly and toughness. It can also be used with breadboards because the pins are row doubled up. You only need 5 pins.
Here's the Mongoose with a Junebug programming it.
**broken link removed**

Bill this is the deal here you pdf doesn't show how to hook up a ICD2 cable. It shows what pins are what and that you need just five. Then you give some one a junebug with a ICD2 connector on it.
Then you have people wanting to use it with a bread board and there like how do i do that so this is for you This is how you can bread board with the junebug

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/03iPkFhmw9E&hl=en&fs=1&[/embed]

Last edited:
thanks heaps for the be80be..will get back to you if i encounter any problems.. have ordered the PIC18F452 online and waiting for it to be delievered..

also, blueroomelectronics, suggest you check all your kits before packaging, because my one came minus a 12mm push button switch...just wanted to let you know..

be80be, just another question...

the crystal in the circuit diagram, what are the specs needed?

and the capacitors above it, are the 22uF and 0.22uF?

The capacitors are 22pF and for bread boarding I use a 4mhz or 8mhz crystal

so 22pF caps, another 0.1uF and the diode is 914?

is there a big difference between the 4MHz and 8Mhz?

also..i was tryin out a program today on the Junebug. On which ports are the LEDs?Also, how are we sure of the Port allocations once the 18F452 is connected?

so 22pF caps, another 0.1uF and the diode is 914?

is there a big difference between the 4MHz and 8Mhz?

also..i was tryin out a program today on the Junebug. On which ports are the LEDs?Also, how are we sure of the Port allocations once the 18F452 is connected?

1N914/1N4148 diode is what I use you can get 16 mhz running PLL with 4mhz crystal
or 32mhz with the 8mhz crystal. You can try 10 and 20 mhz crystals can't run the 20 with PLL but the 10 you can. But for solderless bread boarding some of the faster crystals will not play right. I use the slower till I learn how to set them up.
If your trying to use the leds on the junebug 6 of them you can't
If the chips not coming on or (powering up ) you need to release from reset in mplab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back