Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gerbv & Online & Sparkfun PCB not matching Gerbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry T

After a long absence from electronics I thought I tried some "easier" projects.
Some deliberation later I settled on the nice looking packet by DesignSpark for my schematic/PCB design. So far fairly happy.

Problem; when I look at my pcb in Gerbv I get 1 pad that doesn't look right (see attached image)
when looking at the PCB in the Designspark Software it looks ok and it looks ok when looked at it with an online viewer (https://www.gerber-viewer.com/)
designspark_weird_pad.png
Designspark
gerberviewer_com_weird_pad.png
Online Viewer
Gerbv_weird_pad.png
Gerbv

Which one should I trust now?

It may just be a resolution issue. There just aren't enough pixels to render the pads correctly.

You could upload the files to FreeDFM.com, a service provided by Advanced Circuits. This free service hs been good at finding problems.

After a long absence from electronics I thought I tried some "easier" projects.
Some deliberation later I settled on the nice looking packet by DesignSpark for my schematic/PCB design. So far fairly happy.

Problem; when I look at my pcb in Gerbv I get 1 pad that doesn't look right (see attached image)
when looking at the PCB in the Designspark Software it looks ok and it looks ok when looked at it with an online viewer (https://www.gerber-viewer.com/) View attachment 113258Designspark View attachment 113259Online Viewer View attachment 113260Gerbv

Which one should I trust now?

Hi
I use Designspark but don’t trust its viewer. I always check the gerber files with the free DFMnow gerber viewer. This tool uses the actual aperture and drill data along with the gerber data to produce the image. This is the same data the PCB manufacturer will use to fab the PCB.

eT

Yeah, when I change the rendering in Gerbv to Fast, it comes out OK. So the resolution thing makes sense? It just shows that double checking always pays off! :)
I will have a look into DFMnow, this looks like a promising replacement for Gerbv.

Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back