Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate opener motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a very basic operation you will need to monitor at least three switches (possibly four) .... two for the limits, and one or two for the request. (Open or Close (two), or a single push button (one) for toggling the Open/Close request.

Another two I/O's will be necessary to drive an H-Bridge controller or to drive Relays to control the direction of the gate motor.

Aside from that it should be just conditional software programming ... If this is pressed do that unless you are already here

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO!
You will also need to monitor motor current to detect a stalled motor if someone/something obstructs the gate movement.

There will be a current spike at every start. If it lasts > than some time there may be a permanent obstacle in the way.

There is a power window control design brief somewhere.

If you have a choice, make the limit switches normally closed.
That way any switch or connection failure that causes an open circuit (which is more likely than a short failure) will stop the gate, making it more fail-safe.

I have built an Arduino controlled a swing gate. Schematic here.

Input is provided by single-button wireless remote; one push to begin moving from either closed limit or open limit, second push to stop and reverse. Limit switches are built into the lead-screw push-pull actuator. Actuator motor is pwmed during acceleration and deaceleration. Motor is DC, so reversable.

For a very basic operation you will need to monitor at least three switches (possibly four) .... two for the limits, and one or two for the request. (Open or Close (two), or a single push button (one) for toggling the Open/Close request.

Another two I/O's will be necessary to drive an H-Bridge controller or to drive Relays to control the direction of the gate motor.

Aside from that it should be just conditional software programming ... If this is pressed do that unless you are already here

Thanks for your reply. I just started with Arduino. I am an electrician.

Do tout have a schematic diagram to wiring the ac motor with Arduino Uno ?
My solution (to which I already posted a link) uses a 12V reversible DC motor that is part of a linear actuator. An AC motor is not suitable for this application; it cannot be speed-controlled, and it starts with a huge jerk. That jerk imparts an mechanical oscillation into the swinging gate.

With a speed-controlled DC motor, I was able to "tune" the acceleration/de-acceleration profile so that the motor begins moving slowly with no oscillation. The accel/de-accel profile uses the Arduino PWM library, and the rates of accelertion (and de-acceleration) are dependent on the weight of the gate, its length, and the geometry of how the actuator is placed near the gate hinges.

An ac motor 220v is that suitable to do this job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back