Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gas stove spark circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahime

Dears,
Could anyone explain me the basics of a spark circuit. Does it need DC output? High voltage or high current is required? Do you have any schematic?

The spark is created using a piezo crystal. When you click the button, a little hammer hits the piece of crystal and it produces a high voltage electric current. This is the spark you use.

Piezo crystals are special in the sense that when they are flexed they produce electric current. Likewise, when an electric current is induced to them, they flex. This is how piezoelectric inducers work.

For more info, try searching piezoelectric effect on google or wikipedia.

Best regards,
michael11298

mike11298 said:
The spark is created using a piezo crystal. When you click the button, a little hammer hits the piece of crystal and it produces a high voltage electric current. This is the spark you use.

Bear in mind this is only one type of igniter, many use battery powered ignition circuits (with an inverter), or even mains powered ones - but again, usually feeding a low voltage inverter.

They are not too dissimilar to automotive ignition circuits - look up ignition coil.

Hero999 said:
They are not too dissimilar to automotive ignition circuits - look up ignition coil.
That's right. Attached is a Capasitor discharge ignitor. Could anyone explain me how figure 1 and figure 2 work( before and after triggering).
I 've also found a gas stove spark kit in the market. Please see the attached file "spark". Please also help me recognize the unknown component in it.

Attachments

• CDI spark.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,460
  • spark.JPG
    spark.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 4,322
I would imagine it's some kind of discharge device?, as the 2.2uF charges up it's threshold voltage will be reached, discharging the 2.2uF into the transformer. It could be a high power diac?.

It's probably a gas discharge tube, it's basically a spark gap in an inert atmosphere.

Hero999 is correct.

Similar devices are also used in telephone circuits to clamp spikes on the phone line.

Fahime said:
Could anyone explain me how figure 1 and figure 2 work in attached file:CDIspark.pdf(before and after triggering).
I ask again:
Could anyone explain me how figure 1 and figure 2 work in attached file:CDIspark.pdf(before and after triggering).

When the voltage on the transformer's primary changes quickly and there is no load at all on the output, the output voltage is very high, almost unlimited. But once the voltage rises high enough the spark gap breaks down and loads the output. Hopefully the high temp of the spark will ignite the flame.

The circuit is designed for repeat sparks. Once the switching "Component" there conducts, it drains the cap and makes a current spike on the primary. Once it's drained the switch turns off, the resistor starts charging the cap again, but the switch is designed not to conduct until the cap is fully charged again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back