Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage Door Opener Stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Brand: Moore 0' Matic (no longer in business)
Model: UltraLift
Lift mechanism: spring-assisted jack screw

I believe the motors are capacitor start, induction run, 115V AC, 60 Hz, USA. I do not/cannot see a centrifugal switch on the motors, but I have not taken them apart. The motor starts, lifts the door a foot or so, then stops or crawls to the fully open position. Springs are adjusted per instructions, so slight down pressure is required to close door. Condition worsens when it is cold (<0°C). Replaced the capacitor for one opener with no change in symptoms -- it was a cheap, quick test for what seemed like an unlikely cause.

Could the capacitor cut-out switch be a voltage controlled relay?

They stop about where they start to do lifting, so I am assuming running torque is bad. What is the most likely cause for that? Bad main winding? Failure to disengage starting capacitor? Other? Insufficient grease on the jack-screw does not seem to be the cause. I can also lift the doors manually with relative ease. The operators are old, so there are no child safety interlocks.

John

Insufficient grease on the jack-screw does not seem to be the cause.
Have you tried operating the screw-jack by hand to check how freely it moves? Slight distortion or corrosion, or a failed bearing could cause excessive friction in the jack or, for that matter, in the motor itself.

Last edited:
Clean and relubricate the screw. The grease gets sticky when cold. Use the teflonized silicone spray.

No binding without load, but I went ahead and re-lubed each anyway. Now both work. It's a miracle. :eek:

Now I can get my airplane hauler out to go flying.

Thanks all.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back