Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Game Call Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Govtman

Hello, honored to be part of this forum. I have a simple question, well I hope I do.

I just bought a battery operated deer call (Lohman's Invis-buck Digital Call) which is operated by four AAA batteries. I was wondering if I could solder an ABS 15 watt 8 ohm speaker to it so I could get a better sound.

What do you experts think??? Will it work??? Will the AAA batteries be enough for the original deer call to send a signal to the ABS speaker? Do I have to worry about the length of the speaker wire going from the original call to the new ABS speaker?

Am I crazy for thinking this over? I've seen other games calls costing about $150 to $250!!! When I priced an ABS speaker it was under $20!!! What gives???

Thanks to everyone for listening to my ramble...

8)

Govtman

the issue isn't the batteries, the issue is whether or not the amplifier circuitry in the deer call is powerful enough to drive the bigger speaker.

Most likely it is not, because they would probably have put in as small an amplifier as they could for the original speaker to save money.

Other than tearing it all up, is there any sure way to find out, or work-around?

Thanks for replying...

G/M :)

Govtman said:
Am I crazy for thinking this over? I've seen other games calls costing about $150 to $250!!! When I priced an ABS speaker it was under $20!!! What gives???

It's because they are totally different devices, output power depends on the output voltage of the amplifier, and the impedance of the loudspeaker. The lower impedance the speaker is, the higher the acoustic output - however, this demands more power from the amplifier, which will be destroyed if you try and overload it too much.

Assuming the existing speaker is 8 ohm (like the ABS speaker) you will only get exactly the same amount of power out of the amplifier, but you 'may' get more acoustic volume as the cone is going to be larger.

The more expensive models probably have far more powerful amplifiers inside, and will use bigger and more powerful batteries to power it.

:D That's all that I am looking for...a little bit louder sound than what the original unit puts out. Should I go for a 10w and lower ohms ABS speaker?

Thank you for your input!

Govtman said:
:D That's all that I am looking for...a little bit louder sound than what the original unit puts out. Should I go for a 10w and lower ohms ABS speaker?

The wattage doesn't matter greatly (as long as it's larger than the amplifier output), you need to find out the impedance of the original speaker and use the same as that. It may be printed on the speaker, if not you can measure it with an ohmmeter - bear in mind that this measures the resistance, and not the impedance, so it will be lower than the impedance - but an 8 ohm will probably read between 6-8 ohms, and a 4 ohm 3-4 ohms.

Govtman said:

Thank you for your input!

Just for clarity, The wattage a speaker is rated at is the maximum wattage it can handle, not what it will produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back