1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI: Feature Rich PIC18FxxK42 Series

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers' started by Mike - K8LH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mike - K8LH

Mike - K8LH Well-Known Member

I don't always keep up on new chip offerings from Microchip so I apologize if this is old news. It's nice to see some of the exciting peripherals found in the 16F series finally showing up in 18F series devices.

If you're into this sort of thing, the 800+ page 18FxxK42 Datasheet is probably worth checking out.

Cheerful regards, Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JLNY

JLNY Active Member

Definitely a series that has caught my interest recently as well. I have been thinking of trying out the 8kB SRAM variants such as the 18F27K42 once it gets released. There are so many different PICs out there that it can be hard to keep track sometimes.

Is there any kind of timeline available for when they plan to release the upper-end chips for the series?

3. granddad

granddad Active Member

Been waiting for farnell uk to stock , seems i missed it, but intend to have a couple 25K42 28 pin dips on my desk asap.. ( if I can find a little space )

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

Have you tried the 24F series?.

6. JLNY

JLNY Active Member

I haven't done much with the 24F series, but I have done some work with the 33E series, so I am familiar with some of the 16-bit PICs. However, extrapolating from the prices, the 27K42 would be almost half the cost of a 24F chip with comparable RAM/Program memory such as the 24FJ128GA202 and still cheaper (albeit slower) than something like a 33EV128GM002.

The upper K42 chips also have 1kB of storage EEPROM, which can be nice for certain things. Each chip has its trade-offs I suppose, and I'm no expert when it comes to microcontrollers.

7. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

24 f is a great chip the MMC code configure is a great tool The tool lets you setup the hardware easy heck even I can do it.
    I'm in love with Mplab-X code configurator It don't work on all chips but I sure helps on the ones it does
    Dont take no time to be up and runing.

8. Little Ghostman

Little Ghostman Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Problem with the K series is you wait until the erata comes out. Alot of what is in the datasheet always turns out to be optimistic in the end with the K chips. I am thinking its time to switch to the 24

9. Little Ghostman

I missed the DIA stores, that is something I think is pretty handy for alot of small businesses.

10. granddad

granddad Active Member

I'm a big 'fan boy' for PIC24Fxxxxxx lots of memory , pins , speed , and 16 bits sit nicely into C structures,
    LG been over the new bridge yet , we Q ed for an hour :banghead:

11. Little Ghostman

You have got to be joking!! Its over water! Besides I thought you had to have a passport on the other side now :p. Jokes aside I havnt been up there yet, but it is some engineering for sure. I love the way the average speed cams are in place for a while, should get some cash back in the pot fairly quickly ;).

I feel sorry for some the villages that have been affected, i know its a temp situation for most, but a few small businesses have suffered a fair bit. I wonder if they used a new paint coating technology?? I cant find the link now but there is a new nano paint about. According to what i read it would be a good match on the bridge, but cost wise i doubt it would save much.

12. granddad

granddad Active Member

Bridge very impressive ....
    july2017.jpg

Meanwhile ... I just ordered a few PIC18F25K42 28 pin beasties... < 2 GBP each, probably make a dev board ( like I need another )....