Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starting with PIC12 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I was thinking that instead of starting pic microcontoller with PIC 16 or PIC 18, why not to start with PIC 12 series..

After all, Its architecture is more simple and less complicated ...

I know that PIC 12 series is obsolete..

Anyhow, anybody having any PIC12 tutorial then please do tell me...

PIC10 tutorial is also welcome...

Regards,

Simran

The problem with using the pic10 and pic12 is they are tiny. The pic10F200 which I used in a project here (I really wish they'd just left my original post alone), the problem is the complete lack of ram, flash and stack. This means you MUST use assembly and it can be far more difficult than some of the bigger chips. It's a shame the original post isn't available because there was a lot of discussion about the limits of that chip.

Many years ago (30 ish) the 16F84 was the chip to go to, then the 16F628 and then (in my case) the 16F88. Now I would pick a chip that will more than fill your needs and once your project is complete choose a smaller one that will still suffice.

What sort of projects will you be working on?

Mike.

Hi everyone,

I was thinking that instead of starting pic microcontoller with PIC 16 or PIC 18, why not to start with PIC 12 series..

After all, Its architecture is more simple and less complicated ...

I know that PIC 12 series is obsolete..

Anyhow, anybody having any PIC12 tutorial then please do tell me...

PIC10 tutorial is also welcome...

Regards,

Simran
The 12 series doesn't seem to be obsolete?, the latest ones may have been 'relabelled' as 16 series, but it's still essentially a similar device, and available as various 8 pin devices.

All but the antique 12 series were pretty well identical to 16 series anyway, and even the antique ones were very, very similar to the 16 series.

I would suggest starting with 16F series rather than 12, there's nothing to be gained from the 12 series, unless you want a tiny 8 pin device (with few I/O pins). I would suggest 18 or 20 pin 16F devices (20 pin seems to have replace 18 pin now), and using the MCC to set up the config fuses, as there are a confusing number of them.

PIC10 is useless, too few pins, and is simply a PIC12 with two pins sawn off :D

I'd suggest starting with one that has built-in support for debugging.

Being able to view the program and the data in the CPU registers as you step through it makes development much easier.

With a non-debug device (and one too small to attach displays etc.) you are left guessing if something does not work as intended.

For a physically small and cheap one, look at the 16F18323
You can use that with such as a PICKIT3 or 4 programmer/debugger tool.

There is an example program here, that I did for another forum user:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back