Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Futurlec order experiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I've been lucky with my Futurlec orders, usually delivered in about 2 weeks from day placed. Not really too much different then most any place else. I'm waiting for my 11th order, and expect it by the end of the week. I've never had to call or E-mail, and everything has been as advertised, usually exceeding my expectations. Haven't ordered anything exotic or custom-made (boards), just regular parts, sockets, and connectors. I bought my first batch of microcontrollers from them, got them almost a month before Digikey deliveried the programmer (okay, so the AVR Dragon was a new device, and demand was greater then the supply).
My orders or generally under $50, so doubt that has anything to do with it. I do have a fair amount of patience, it's a big world outside my front door, don't expect everybody to just drop everything and tend to my requests.

Oh I forgot to add that this was my second order with them. My first order was a couple of months ago. That order was delivered to me with 3 missing parts. They where cheap parts but I still needed them and payed for them. I sent 4 emails and never got a responce.:confused:

Newark delivers in 2 days at UPS ground rates.

Mouser gets your order on the UPS truck the same day you place it.
If parts are out of stock you know it when you place the order and how long it will take to get it in stock. Orders are not held if parts are not in stock. The out of stock items are shipped UPS with no additional shipping charges when they arrive.

After reading this thread I would not use them for parts needed for an active project.

Last edited:
TekNoir said:
All Electronics Corp has 24*2 LCDs (w/HD44780) for 3.50$ each (CAT# LCD-107) and seven different graphic LCDs, all between 7.75$ and 18.50$, most around 11.00$

I have seen that specific prototyping board (777) for about 80 cents elsewhere, though I don't remember from where at the moment.

I have yet to find anything at Futurlec that I could not find for cheaper elsewhere. I would also rather deal with a company that has better customer support. Their "we'll get around to it when we choose" attitude throws me off by more than a little.

I shouldn't have to spend a month's salary to a small company just in order to not be at the end of the line and to be considered important.

https://www.allelectronics.com is not particularly international ordering friendly, take a look here;

https://www.allelectronics.com/shipping.html

You wouldn't want to be out by a dollar with that in mind

Yea, Futurlec's supplier is in Thailand. My orders always arrived with some strange, yet sweet, mysterious odor in them. Perhaps this is some kind of magic to make you order again? :)

In Canada you could look into using DIP Micro, the people who sell Bill's Inchworm kit. Not sure just thinking.

When I looked, I bookmarked the sight, so if my memory serves me, their prices were good, for Canadians. Most Canadian outfits seem like criminals, though, in their pricing. They are fond of putting 10 1/4 watt resistors in a bubble pack and charging $2.50 or more. grrrr Even on ebay, I bought 10 copper clad boards from a Canadian, and he charged me $20 US, shipping, where the post mark was less than $10 Canadian. Ended up the same price I'd pay in a local shop, and I wouldn't have had the wait.

I have ordered from All Electronics Corp and their prices were good, indeed.

The cheapest place I've ever seen for PIC micros, though, is on Microchip's website. Anyone ever ordered from them? I think you can buy small quantity.

I've had good experiences with Futurlec, but I'm still waiting on my last order to finish up my last project. Been waiting a couple weeks now.

I'm going to have to go to Bellevue to buy parts for the "book" project that I've already started since I don't want to wait a month for them to get here.
There are no decent electronic suppliers N. of Seattle, you have to go to the eastside to find them.

BeeBop said:
Yea, Futurlec's supplier is in Thailand. My orders always arrived with some strange, yet sweet, mysterious odor in them. Perhaps this is some kind of magic to make you order again? :)

When I looked, I bookmarked the sight, so if my memory serves me, their prices were good, for Canadians. Most Canadian outfits seem like criminals, though, in their pricing. They are fond of putting 10 1/4 watt resistors in a bubble pack and charging $2.50 or more. grrrr Even on ebay, I bought 10 copper clad boards from a Canadian, and he charged me $20 US, shipping, where the post mark was less than $10 Canadian. Ended up the same price I'd pay in a local shop, and I wouldn't have had the wait.

I have ordered from All Electronics Corp and their prices were good, indeed.

The cheapest place I've ever seen for PIC micros, though, is on Microchip's website. Anyone ever ordered from them? I think you can buy small quantity.

Oh that smell?... dont mind that it's just opium. :eek:

My latest order is at the post office, have wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

Order placed 4-13
Confirmed 4-14
Dispatched 4-18
Arrived 4-26

This is what I consider normal, although don't remember having to pick up at the post office... Don't expect any issues with quality or quantity, order quality has been 100% in the past.

HarveyH42 said:
My latest order is at the post office, have wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

Order placed 4-13
Confirmed 4-14
Dispatched 4-18
Arrived 4-26

This is what I consider normal, although don't remember having to pick up at the post office... Don't expect any issues with quality or quantity, order quality has been 100% in the past.

Must be nice.:(

I wish this thread was around a few weeks ago...I had a 3 week delay on my order due to a $0.50 part being out of stock. And I didnt even need that part for my current project, I just ordered it just to have on hand.

It took about a week to find out that the part was out of stock, then another week for them to remove it from my order and get it shipped. I was quite pissed, and now I have about a week to finish my school project :(

jrz126 said:
I wish this thread was around a few weeks ago...I had a 3 week delay on my order due to a $0.50 part being out of stock. And I didnt even need that part for my current project, I just ordered it just to have on hand.

It took about a week to find out that the part was out of stock, then another week for them to remove it from my order and get it shipped. I was quite pissed, and now I have about a week to finish my school project :(

I HATE when that happens... digikey is nice enough though to call me and so I tell them just to ship a partial order.

Just got back from the post office (lines suk, least it wasn't december). Everything as expected, although I didn't count the crimp pins (looks close enough). Just to give a little... They charged $9.00 for shipping on a $52.31 order, the postal label says $6.35... What happened to the other $2.65? Just kidding, it's no where near as bad as E-bay. It's still cheap for 2 weeks and half-way around the world. These people still have a perfect record with me.

Guess you learned about deadlines, they will cost you something one way or another. Lucky for you, schools are usually forgiving, might hurt your grade, but should cost you the course. In the real world, you lose money, future jobs and reputation.

Well it’s been 3 working days, and I got the following email

Your order (Edit – Number Removed) is complete with the exception of the MINIDCMOTOR. We are not sure when this part will arrive in our warehouse. We can however arrange to ship this order today and follow up with this part as soon as it becomes available. Please confirm if this is okay.

I replied that I would rather purchase the MINIDCMOTOR board with my next order. Hopefully the order is dispatched this week, I'll keep you posted

I've been waiting a LONG time for my last order. Has parts I need to finish the first section and bus of the "Penny's Computer Book" project.

The same thing happend to me Gramo, on the 20th they gave me a substitute for an item they didn't have in stock that would be fine and it's been a week and a day now since I've gotten any replys.. If I don't get an e-mail from them this week telling me my package shipped I'm gonna get really grumpy. Their prices are good and they have some decent stuff, but I don't think I'm going to order from them again without takeing into acount the absurd shipping times.

Sceadwian said:
Their prices are good and they have some decent stuff, but I don't think I'm going to order from them again without takeing into acount the absurd shipping times.

Perhaps Futurlec has just gotten too popular. As someone mentioned, they are basically a drop-shipper, perhaps keeping a few popular components on hand and filling the rest of orders via their Far East suppliers.

Perhaps it is they that are the problem.

I went over some of my past invoices with Futurlec looking to compare order and shipping dates, but they only give the shipping date for each order. However, I could recall no problems with F., until just the past couple of months. Now, my experience and that of you all make me want to buy somewhere else.

Regards,

It won't make me stop in at Vetco electronics in Bellevue, their prices are 4 to 5 TIMES what I pay Futurlec. They are even about 2x of Radio Shack. Don't see how they stay in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back