Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have you ordered anything from Digikey lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Rant:

I did today and found that there were no "catalog page" references.

Mouser has them, Newark has them, Allied has them. What happened here?

I'm not really complaining about the lack of a paper catalog, but I'm complaining about the lack of the content pages that the paper catalog provided.

Try ordering 15 values of resistors from the same brand/type/package.

Try finding all of the pieces for an AMP CPC connector, Series 1 or Series 2.

The search engine sucks big time because it doesn't have the number of parts that match a particular criteria like Newark and Mouser does.

The search engine doesn't know that output 1, output 2 and output 3 of a power supply needs to know all of the permutations. -5, 5 and 15 it seems returns different results than 15, 5 and -5.

Hi Keep,

Did you try their "Dynamic Catalog" yet?
I didnt try it but just noticed that they have that now.

I agree on the comfort of using a paper catalog or electronic page that emulates a paper page. Ordering connectors and associated parts is particularly difficult. With DigiKey, I just go the sections called "for Use with" and "associated product."

My usual connectors are the crimp-on types as used with model servos and pin headers for which I generally know exactly what I want. I dread going to the sort of things you mention regardless of the supplier. There are so many possibilities. Nevertheless, I usually end up at Mouser to find what I need. Then I check DigiKey for price or use my Mouser discovery to complete a DigiKey order.

It is not that I like the absence of page references, I was just responding to your question of why there were none at DigiKey.

John

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi again,

What i do is type in a part like "resistor" and then it brings up a list where i can select "Resistors/Through Hole".
Then selecting that brings up a list with columns like "Series, Manufacturer, Power,Resistance(Ohms)", etc.
Once you select a manufacturer (like Stackpole) you see only that manufacturers resistors.

Maybe what you want is a better description of the products without having to zero in on one first.

Actually i did order from them recently but didnt need a catalog as i knew what it was i wanted and found it with the search engine. Sometimes with the engine you have to be more general until you see a list with what you want on it.
What they were doing a while back was mailing out cards that asked if you wanted a paper catalog. Not sure if they do that anymore or not, but you could probably request one. Oh ok i just read that they dont send them anymore, dont even print them.

Looks like they also have a Live online chat now.

Last edited:
It seems like with digikey, a more generic terms sometimes works better. I finally saw a manufacturer's list and then selected the 4 values or so and then I had to contend with all if the digi-reels and full reels. I can't eliminate them.

No catalog per John. I'd always find something using search and then go to the PDF page and pick from there. And if I wasn't sure what I wanted, you could always get to the right section and Browse.

I pith the budding, just graduated Engineer that doesn't have a clue what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back