Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fume extractor for soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Luminous said:
Flux fumes can cause acute respiratory and eye irritation and possibly worse. Asthmatics are especially affected.

If a substance is an admitted health hazard for people on a production line, why should you want to breathe it at all - when it is simple enough to filter or redirect the fumes? It is still a hazardous substance.
It states right on the spool of solder I'm using that "flux fumes may cause pulmonary irritation or damage."

I've talked to a few people (hobbyists) who complained that after a lengthy soldering session they had a sore throat, cough, and burning nasal passages. Can't say for sure that there isn't any long-term damage being done as well. Why chance it?

I'm sure that just like smoking tobacco, some people can be exposed for decades and be fine and not worry about it. It doesn't have to make you ill, but the potential is there.
Flux fumes may not exactly be the most harmful thing we can be exposed to, but neither are they totally harmless.

I could also see filtering or venting the fumes simply because other people in the house don't want to smell it.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/05/indg248-1.pdf

I was part of the HSE testing, the only health hazards found were for some asthmatics, and only in a production environment - regular soldering in the service trade, or hobbiest useage, were too low to be a concern.

This was the reason for the flux being changed, it's the fumes from the flux which have the potential of causing problems after continuous long term useage by a very tiny miniority of people.

If it makes you happy though, go for it!.

...regular soldering in the service trade, or hobbiest useage, were too low to be a concern.
While that is good to hear, I guess I still find more comfort in knowing I'm not breathing the fumes (hardly) at all. I also share my home with someone who has bad asthma and also what I guess is considered 'chemical sensitivity' -supposedly from working with toxic substances for many years in factories; so I 'gotta do what I gotta do.'

I have all the athmatic symptoms listed in the article about rosin in solder. Except I don't have them when soldering for about 45 years. I have the symptoms only when I am near my daughter's pet rabbit!
One shot from my puffer gives me instant relief.

Tobacco smoke, some dogs and cats, and the lawn care aisle at the hardware store seem to be the worst for my wife as far as giving an asthma attack. She will also get ill effects after handling pressure-treated lumber or particle board.

You could make a fluid based filtering vacuum, sorta like a bong, that sucks the fumes down through a fluid, maybe a water/detergant mix, or you could use Febreeze as the fluid! (which is what i'm going to try someday when I get the time), i dont know if it will get rid of smoke, it might depend on the fluid, just an idea.

ok guys i finished the unit........last month...just never got to taking it out to use it for photos.

lol

anyways its got some suction but the computer fan is no good with this setup as i heard while building....im going to redesign it with anotoher fan....im trying to use one of those microwave fans this time.

it works if you keep it close by your work area but its just too close to work around.

some pics

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

i had a long hose on it but thought it was limiting the suction some so i chopped it off....didnt do much...im using a bigger hose next time though.

moody07747 said:
anyways its got some suction but the computer fan is no good with this setup as i heard while building....im going to redesign it with anotoher fan

It also would work better with the fan the other way!
Restrictions (the filter) on the intake will reduce CFM more than the same restriction on the outlet. The fumes will not damage the fan so I recommend doing it that way.

But you have stumbled upon the primary problem. You need a large area of fan to effectively remove fumes from even say a 1 cubic foot area if it's in the open. Making it faster won't help much, the intake and air box must be large. Ideally it should be above the work, though this may put it in your way. Ambient breezes (ceiling fan) may also scatter the fumes away from the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back